LA Times seeks deputy business editor
The Los Angeles Times is looking for a deputy editor to shape its Business coverage. This newsroom leader will work directly with a team of reporters to tell stories about money and people, and how the two intersect.
We are looking for a skilled manager and editor with knowledge of economics and business, macro and micro, large and small; a vision for creative, high-impact coverage on all platforms; and an ability to inspire colleagues to do ambitious, audacious work.
The ideal candidate has the ability to make Business stories appeal not only to traditional readers of business journalism but also beyond. This editor will frame stories around the central questions people are asking, the things they wish they knew or understood or the things they didn’t even realize they were curious about. Audience-oriented decision-making is a must, as this editor will need to make tough choices about what stories are worth the time and focus of staff, what can be covered with wire and third-party partners and what we should stop doing.
This editor will work on a range of coverage, but areas of focus might include income equality, the California economy, housing and labor.
- Assign and edit the kind of business journalism you would click on and subscribe to; ensure that reporting is fair, accurate, high quality and meets the ethical standards and style of the publication
- Monitor local, national and global business news to ensure The Times is part of, or ahead of, the conversation
- Manage staff, providing continual feedback to employees on their performance, to develop talent and push the department to do better
- Work with Business editing team to set a strategic course for the department that prioritizes digital development, grows audience and digital subscriptions, and fulfills current company goals
- Apply creativity to story generation, presentation, and medium to reach audiences and grow new ones
- Ensure that the department meets digital and print production deadlines and maintains ideal story flow
To apply, go here.