The Jacksonville Business Journal is seeking reporters who are able to marry strong traditional journalism skills – source building, sharp interviewing techniques, strong analytical reporting skills, clear writing, document use – with online and social media know-how. Whatever the platform, reporters will produce content – original and curated – that is accompanied by perspective and context. Beats available at this time include technology/ transportation and health care/ banking. You will join a veteran staff well acquainted with Northeast Florida and its business and civic leaders.
A Business Journals reporter is expected to contribute both short-form (daily online posts) and long-form (print) stories to our news products. Scoops matter. A lot. Specifically reporters will be expected to own their beat audience and conversation; use networking events, Twitter, LinkedIn and other community-building outlets to expand and fortify their source pool and audience; work collaboratively with other newsroom staffers to maximize impact and accessibility of stories reported; and meet or exceed goals related to audience engagement. Applicants please send a cover letter with resume, references and 6 examples of your best work to: John Burr, editor-in-chief at email@example.com.
• Proven ability in reporting and writing
• Ability to work independently and remotely
• Ability to break news and to identify newsworthy events and sources
• Strong analytical and investigative interviewing skills
• Ability to relate comfortably to a wide range of people, in person and online, and to develop sources and audience
• Competitive, collaborative, curious
• Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure
• Ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates the organization from competitors
Experience: Minimum of 2 years of journalism experience; Proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience; Knowledge of business, and/or business community, a plus. Experience with using social media to source and promote content also a plus
Education: Bachelors degree or equivalent experience