Reuters is seeking a top-notch journalist to help run the Italy Hub as a breaking news specialist, dedicated to speed and excellence, whether it be winning snaps and writing swift updates or crafting a quick sidebar and spotting a viral moment.
The successful candidate will support the Bureau Chief and the wider bureau by monitoring live online events, TV broadcasts and social media feeds, sending headlines and building coverage in the crucial first minutes of a breaking news story.
Italy is a very diverse and multimedia story so she or he must be at home covering a variety of topics at speed for all our major client groups – everything from speeches by political leaders, the Pope or central bank officials to corporate mergers and natural disasters. Along with the Bureau Chief, the successful candidate will share responsibility for the bureau’s timings performance and manage the overall HUB team. This role is ideal for a journalist seeking management experience, more hands-on involvement across the entire file, and to start a career path towards bureau chief. The position can be based in either Milan or Rome
As Breaking News Editor, you will:
- Spot the news and deliver it to our clients first
- Maintain the bureau’s excellent timings record
- Snap news clearly and accurately, write quick urgents and updates, all in line with the Reuters breaking news drill
- Craft engaging headlines and clear, contextualised updates, consistent with Reuters standards
- Lead a team of 15+ breaking news journalists, working in English and Italian
- Work under pressure in a very fast-paced environment
As Breaking News Editor, you will likely have:
- A passion for speed and accuracy
- Excellent news judgment across the file
- Very strong writing skills
- Good communication skills and ability to work well in a tight-knit team
- Experience handling major breaking news stories and directly injecting copy
- An ability to work calmly under pressure
- Fluent Italian & English
Please note, the deadline for applications is Sunday 23rd October 2022.
To apply, go here.