National Mortgage News is seeking a reporter to cover the technology in the mortgage industry. Ideal candidates will have experience covering fintech startups, the U.S. housing market and/or reporting for other financial services audiences. Must be adept at pitching and covering daily news items in addition to reporting out longer feature stories and analytical “day-two” pieces on the most important trends and developments in this specialized area.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Research and write at least one news article a day.
- Report, break news, and develop ongoing tech coverage in the mortgage space.
- Cultivate sources and generate enterprise story ideas.
- Work closely with editors and other colleagues in multiple coverage areas.
- Attend industry conferences and press events as needed.
Preferred candidates will offer:
- Excellent explanatory writing, reporting and news management skills
- Experience covering housing, fintechs and/or other financial services
- Ability to work independently and multi-task on a constant basis in addition to working well as part of a team of editors and reporters
- Proven ability to report and break news on tight deadline
- Familiarity with web publishing and content management systems
- Strong social media skills
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or similar discipline
- Three or more years of full-time experience in an online or print publication
Reporters for National Mortgage News are expected to contribute to and participate in all channels and platforms in which we engage our readers. Those activities include:
- Create social media posts on a daily basis.
- Participate in digital media, including podcasts, web seminars, video interviews, and so on.
- Participate in live and virtual events hosted by National Mortgage News and other Arizent brands.
- Represent National Mortgage News in other media, industry events, and other public contexts.
Preferred candidates will have the following attributes:
- A passion for business reporting. Candidates with demonstrated experience covering the housing market, the mortgage market, or the financial services industries will be advantaged.
- Experience in reporting, preferably in a breaking news environment.
- Ability to write with clarity, insight, and depth in a timely manner.
- A track record of working well under tight deadlines.
- A sharp eye for what makes a compelling news story.
- A strong understanding of how to generate scoops.
- Proficiency in all the tools of a digital newsroom.
- Experience and confidence participating in digital media and other public forums.
- College degree in journalism, English, or a related field.
- The position is remote, but location in the New York metropolitan area or anywhere in the Northeast region, which ranges from Maine to Maryland, is preferred.
To apply, go here.