LMA names 16 participants in first lab cohort
Local Media Association has named 16 news organizations that will participate in the first six-month lab from its Center for Journalism Funding. The participants include:
- Afro American Newspapers
- AL DÍA
- Anchorage Daily News
- The Aspen Times (Swift Communications)
- Atlanta Journal Constitution (Cox Enterprises)
- Block Club Chicago
- Bozeman Daily Chronicle (Adams Publishing Group)
- Detour Detroit
- Nogales International (Wick Communications)
- The Sacramento Observer
- Tampa Bay Times (Times Publishing Company)
- The Post and Courier
- Sun Herald (McClatchy)
- The Times Picayune/The Advocate
- Washington City Paper
The judging committee consisted of LMA and Seattle Times staff members.
The Center for Journalism Funding along with the Google News Initiative aims to strengthen the understanding and capabilities of local news organizations.
The lab will have two goals:
- Drive at least $2.25 million in funding for journalism projects for the 16 publishers combined
- Publish an extensive industry playbook on funding journalism through philanthropy
LMA’s chief innovation officer, Frank Mungeam, will lead the lab and coach the 16 participants.
Read more here.