WSJ seeks deputy chief news editor
The Deputy Chief News Editor assists the Chief News Editor in driving the daily news agenda from early morning to late at night and on the weekends. The deputies enforce the Chief News Editor’s goals for coverage chiefs, platform editors and the editing desk and assist him or her in ensuring that everything we publish fulfills the journalistic mission and upholds the high standards of our journalism.
Tasks/Responsibilities for the Chief News Editor/Deputies:
- Help run coverage chiefs, format and platform editors and other senior editors to create a compelling Wall Street Journal publication strategy and drive stories and deadlines.
- Help set priorities and plans for daily news coverage across all publication platforms and formats.
- Work closely with the Planning Editor to set longer-term publication plans across the newsroom and on the day, implement those plans.
- Must understand how to incorporate audience insight into all strategies.
- Plan and facilitate daily news meetings.
- Coordinate between coverage chiefs and platforms to make sure all content is optimized on all platforms.
- Suggest medium and long-term content ideas to the Planning Editor and Executive Editor
- Manage the relationship and creative tension between the content creation, platform and editing leadership,resolve disputes between different coverage areas, format and platform editors.
- Track performance and adjust priorities and strategy to maximize the impact of WSJ journalism on all platforms.
- Continuously develop and improve the workflows, ways of working and structures to assure audience focus, quality, effectivity and efficiency.
- Inspire our journalists to produce their best work on all platforms.
- Contribute by attitude, example and encouragement to a culture of creativity, enthusiasm, motivation, ownership and professionalism.
- Manage, motivate and develop staff to consistently produce high-quality work.
- Set clear objectives for direct reports, cascading effectively down.
- Set agenda and make and articulate clear decisions.
- Set standards for individual and team performance – ongoing and in regular performance reviews.
- Contribute to the shaping and management of staff-development programs.
- Provide strong leadership in difficult situations.
- Identify high-potential members of the team and ensure they are effectively developed.
To apply, go here.