We are looking for a journalistically savvy self-starter who will be responsible for writing and/or curating breaking news and trending stories, packaging content with various photos and multimedia, posting to the website, writing engaging headlines and editing
This editor will be fully engaged in the Pittsburgh region’s news cycle by staying familiar with public officials and other key regional stakeholders, remaining educated about ongoing story threads across numerous newsroom beats and analyzing which topics
are resonating most with our paid users. The editor will use that knowledge to make sound editorial decisions about story hierarchy and packaging on PG digital platforms each day.
This is a highly visible and rewarding position within the newsroom, and you’ll be a key decision-maker who collaborates with editors and reporters across all departments and beats every day.
- Editing and publishing content from all PG departments (News & Investigations Desk, Business, Sports, Health and Features).
- Monitoring and posting breaking news as well as other emerging state, national and international content via wire services and media partnerships.
- Producing and writing breaking news content as needed.
- Managing the homepage and key landing pages of the PG website.
- Tracking social media for trending stories and news developments.
- Monitoring local and regional news outlets and other media competitors.
- Digital presentation: Enhancing story packages with the creative use of embedded visuals (video, infographics, photos, etc.)
- Brainstorming alternative forms of storytelling and audience engagement, including but not limited to newsletters, social media, email blasts, etc.
- At least 2 years of news media experience, preferably on digital platforms.
- Exceptional news judgment
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment
- Strong line editing, reporting and multimedia skills
- Keen knowledge of analytical tools and social media
- Ability to collaborate with other news departments as well as with product, design and marketing teams
- Strong analytical and strategic planning skills and attention to detail
- Strong verbal and written communication skills as well as strong interpersonal skills.
- Display exceptional work ethic, time management, and organization skills
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in journalism, but relevant experience can substitute for a journalism degree
- At least 2 years of digital news experience, preferably on digital platforms
To be considered for this position, please contact Matthew Rosenberg at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further details click here.