STAT, the leading health and science site, is looking for a reporter to cover the complicated ways we pay for health care in this country. This reporter will go beyond earnings calls and financial decisions to dig into the ways the health insurance industry is grappling with massive changes, spurred in part by political and regulatory decisions as well as advancements in telehealth and health care technology. The reporter will connect the dots across the convoluted payer landscape to spot trends and deliver sharp, insightful analyses and profiles of standout startups, innovations, or power brokers. This coverage will center not only on payers’ bottom lines or their relationships with hospitals and drug makers, but also how they impact patients and their health.
- Tell sharp, compelling stories about major insurance companies, with a focus on fresh angles and accountability work
- Pioneer a new line of coverage for STAT, helping to refine and shape deeper coverage of a critical industry
- Moderate and lead events and contribute to newsletters
- Work with our data and multimedia teams to explore innovative formats for telling stories
- A versatile and creative writer prepared to make connections and highlight innovations
- Eager to dive deep into complicated subject matters — and to translate that complexity into clear, readable narratives
- A skill and passion for delivering scoops. A self-starter when it comes to stories, but also collaborative in nature. thrives on a tight-knit, all-hands-on-deck culture and a strong team dynamic.
- Committed to excellence in your reporting
- Bonus points if you are deeply knowledgeable in the business of health insurance and have reported on health, medicine, or business.
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
The minimum salary for this position is $70,000. We offer a competitive benefits package, including health insurance, a 401k plan, generous vacation, and more. We also provide Care,com back-up care and have numerous wellness offerings, including free access to HeadSpace for all full time employees.
To apply, go here.