Pittsburgh Biz Times seeks reporter to cover tech and innovation
The Pittsburgh Business Times is looking for a reporter to cover technology and innovation.
The ideal candidate brings exceptional journalism skills – source building, sharp news judgment, interviewing prowess, strong analytical and investigative reporting, clear writing, document use – and strong digital content sensibility. Whatever the platform, this reporter will produce content that is accompanied by perspective and context for a vibrant audience of entrepreneurs, business owners, executives and professionals in one of the nation’s most vibrant economic regions.
Specifically, this reporter will cover Pittsburgh’s thriving technology and innovation economy, producing everything from scoops about established companies, startups and entrepreneurs, to sophisticated analysis of the issues that affect the industry, to savvy, important coverage of the executives, ideas and characters who make it go.
The audience for this reporter runs from start-up executives to long-tenured CEOs, executives at every level in between, and everyone who wants to know and/or do business with them.
• Proven excellence in reporting and writing
• Desire and ability to break news and to identify newsworthy events and sources
• Strong analytical and investigative-interviewing skills
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
• Ability to relate comfortably to a wide range of people, in person, on the phone and online
• A clear drive to develop sources and build audience
• Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure.
• Ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates the organization from competitors.
• Multimedia skills, including video, photos, broadcast, on-camera, helpful.
A Business Times reporter is competitive, collaborative and curious. He or she is expected to contribute both short- and long-form stories to our news products online, in email and in print. Specifically, reporters are expected to own every important story on their beats; use networking events, social media platforms and other community-building outlets to expand and fortify their source base and audience; work collaboratively with other newsroom staffers to maximize impact and accessibility of stories reported; and meet or exceed goals related to audience engagement. Also, scoops matter. A lot.
• 2-3 years of reporting experience.
• Proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience.
• Proven experience building and maintaining a strong source base.
• Knowledge of business principles essential.
• Experience covering Pittsburgh region a plus.
Bachelor’s degree in journalism or equivalent work experience
To apply, email a resume, cover letter and links to clips that best show enterprise and scoops reporting to Editor Jennifer Beahm, firstname.lastname@example.org