Memphis Daily News seeks ME
The Daily News Publishing Co. seeks a Managing Editor to oversee its award-winning coverage of business and government news in both of its publications: The Daily News and The Memphis News. Reporting to the Associate Publisher & Executive Editor, this is the No. 2 position in the newsroom.
The Managing Editor provides day-to-day newsroom leadership, guiding the editorial staff in developing and executing news stories, features, trend pieces and other information of interest to Mid-South community in both the print and digital products. Enthusiasm for the work and the market and a willingness to get involved in the community, be visible and accessible are a must. It is expected that the Managing Editor will work collaboratively with other departments.
Qualifications include: several years of business journalism experience as a reporter and editor; a strong news judgment and thorough understanding of business, finance and economics; the ability to manage multiple projects; the ability to manage personnel on an individual basis; and the ability to coach and motivate others. Knowledge of the Memphis and Shelby County business and political community a definite plus. The Managing Editor manages a highly experienced and motivated news team, which has won numerous statewide and regional awards.
The position offers a competitive benefits package, including medical coverage and a matched 401(k) plan. For more information about the company, visit memphisdailynews.com.
Primary Editorial Responsibilities
- Managing reporters, editors and freelancers.
- Coordinating important, relevant and unique editorial content.
- Working with the Associate Publisher & Executive Editor in refining and enhancing editorial content according to the editorial philosophy.
- Working with the Associate Publisher & Executive Editor in positioning The Daily News and The Memphis News as the authority on issues core to the editorial philosophy.
- Managing production of the daily paper as well as the weekly publication under daily deadline pressure with strong news judgment and copy editing skills.
- Managing the copy editing process of The Daily News and The Memphis News.
- A skillful editing touch with news and feature stories. You must be able to quickly turn raw copy into polished, engaging stories with the edge, sophistication and authority readers expect from The Daily News and The Memphis News.
- Writing creative and informative cutlines and headlines.
- Editing and posting stories online.
- Responding quickly to fast-paced, breaking-news situations.
- Managing and editing special editions, emphasis editions and other content.
- Helping reporters generate story ideas, develop beats and cultivate sources.
- Continually working to improve our relationship with readers, subjects and advertisers.
- Maintaining a thorough comprehension of business and financial concepts.
- Continually improving leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to build relationships with key business, government and civic leaders for the purpose of raising the awareness of the paper and generating editorial content.
- Ability to raise the profile and awareness of our papers through appropriate forms of networking, public speaking, individual or group meetings, and participation in appropriate business and civic groups, boards or committees.
- Ability to represent The Daily News and The Memphis News at public events, including our own seminars.
Please send your resume and clips to James Overstreet at firstname.lastname@example.org.