Medium seeks a business editor
Medium is looking for an ambitious, well-sourced editor to own our business coverage across daily, weekly, and monthly publishing. This person knows how to report on industry, has creative ideas about how to tell stories about the most important businesses shaping our world, and possesses a knack for delivering big stories and tiny scoops that break through.
This person must love to read and have a sixth sense for what other people want to read. You will commission original features, columns, and essays by known and unknown writers and experts, bringing stories and perspectives that are not being seen elsewhere. You are fluent in the world of business and tech, have a record for obtaining access, and are interested in many different aspects of this beat, from micro and macro trends in Silicon Valley, to the rising CEO worth profiling and more.
Medium isn’t where readers will find breaking news on stock prices or press releases for startups; instead, we’re looking for stories that will reach and resonate with a broad audience, one that’s interested in industries and where they’re headed—and in reading great stories about fascinating people making big bets.
The right person for this role has several years of experience covering business as an editor, and has a stable of freelance writers who can pitch and execute, as well as connections to industry and company leaders.
This editor has an eye for quality, is intellectually curious, and displays excellent judgment when it comes to commissioning everything from investigations to profiles to deftly composed essays.
What will you do?
- Solicit, secure, and edit interesting, definitive, conversation-starting features, columns, and essays on various high-impact industries
- Oversee business coverage on a daily, weekly, and monthly cadence
- Own Medium’s coverage of business, from curation on the platform to original publishing
- Build a team of editors and possibly writers covering business
- Identify and engage emerging or undiscovered writers who already publish on the Medium platform and can command a bigger audience
- Identify and engage experts who already publish on the Medium platform
- Work with staff members and writers on story packaging, including display copy
- Liaise with design and editorial leadership on the creative execution and packaging of commissioned stories
- Work with editorial team leadership on special projects and monthly themed packages
- Bring good ideas to work every day
Who are you?
- You have 10+ years of editing experience in journalism
- You are passionate about business, industry, and emerging trends in the field
- You don’t pitch stories based on press releases
- You have access and story ideas that aren’t being done elsewhere
- You care about words and can deliver well-edited stories on a deadline
- You are curious and display excellent taste and judgment
- You are sourced in the business field, or are sure you can reach anyone you would like to quickly
- You are a display-copy whiz who understands the importance of framing a story for maximum reader engagement
- You are a straightforward and effective communicator
- You like working on a team and can help improve other people’s ideas through collaboration and brainstorming
- You believe that good stories can come from anywhere
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
This position can be based in either New York or San Francisco.
To apply, go here.