The Kansas City Star is seeking a creative and collaborative news leader to serve as its managing editor.
This is a key leadership role in one of America’s great metro newsrooms, and we’re looking for someone who not only loves a good story but who is passionate about reaching readers on every platform, from our dynamic websites to our digital eEditions to our reimagined print product.
As The Star’s managing editor, you would coordinate and oversee the day-to-day news-gathering work of a talented and accomplished team of journalists as they experiment with new ways to reach an increasingly diverse audience of readers, viewers and listeners. This editor will play an integral role in accelerating our digital transition, as we build a sustainable operation that produces world-class accountability and investigative journalism, solutions- and utility-focused news and information, and breaking news coverage that is first and best on issues most important to our local readers.
You should bring a proven commitment to raising standards for diversity and inclusion both in news coverage and talent recruitment.
The successful candidate will be an accomplished newsroom leader who will work closely with The Star’s Executive Editor to draw the highest quality journalism from our reporters, editors and visual journalists and drive newsroom collaboration. This person must have experience in newsroom transformation and be prepared to approach the role with fresh ideas about how best to serve both our readers and those who should be readers.
The Managing Editor will report to The Star’s Executive Editor.
If this is you, please apply.
- The proven ability to lead, inspire, and convey knowledge to others and to work effectively with a wide range of colleagues in managing change.
- Comfort with a job that will be demanding, fast-paced, constantly evolving, and more outcome-oriented than task-oriented.
- At least five years of experience as a successful leader of a newsroom or large team.
- Experience working collaboratively across a large organization.
- A focus on ensuring that our content and staffing represent the fullness of our community and the diversity of the people who live here.
- Experience working with news analytics to grow audience and increase subscriptions.
- Experience as a multi-platform storyteller, with passion for the written word as well as visual and audio journalism.
- Experience managing performance, including setting clear expectations, providing appropriate training and holding staff members accountable.
- The ability to solve problems, innovate and adapt in service of the primary goal, which is to produce quality journalism that reaches and engages readers and subscribers and has an impact.
Salary: $160,000 to $180,000
For further information click here.