Insider seeks a retail reporter to cover Nike, footwear
Insider is seeking a reporter to join our growing retail team. We’re looking for someone with sources within big name athletic wear retailers, who is eager to tell inside the company stories.
This reporter will cover Nike and its competitors like Adidas, as well as up-and-coming athleisure startups. The mission is to focus on how these fascinating companies modernize their brands and compete in their respective industries. The job requires traditional beat reporting, investigative work, and analysis.
Some examples of the types of stories our readers love are:
- Nike is transforming from a marketing company into a technology brand. 7 company insiders say the changes — including mass layoffs and team restructuring — are creating internal turmoil.
- Running brand Hoka One One sales exploded 58% to $352 million in 2020. Its president shares her playbook for maintaining that velocity in 2021.
- Adidas is tackling inclusion with a council to fight racism and a new hire for global HR. Here are 15 change-makers at Adidas paving the way for diversity within the company.
This person will cover the inner workings of businesses and how its employees feel about their work. This retail reporter will join our team of reporters who cover everything from fast food to fitness startups. The ideal candidate is excited about working in a fast paced digital newsroom with a dynamic paywall, where we are transparent about metrics and goals.
We value collaboration, open communication, and creative problem-solving. Other skills that the ideal candidate should have include:
- A proven track record of scoops and breaking exclusive news on companies in the retail space
- Comfort with cold calling, emailing, and meeting potential sources
- Interest in digging into court documents and SEC filings
- The ability to juggle long-term features with short scoops and analysis stories
If this sounds like your dream job, apply here with a single PDF containing your resume/CV and cover letter. If you’re passionate about this role but don’t have 100% of the experience we’re looking for, apply anyways — we still want to hear from you!
To apply, go here.