The Nashville Business Journal is looking for a top-notch reporter to cover commercial real estate.
The real estate beat is the essence of business journal reporting. It requires building — and working — strong source networks to dig out deals before the competition and reporting both the dollar value and the broader impact of new projects and new players. We need someone who is driven to do the hard work of digging up news and intrigued by the challenge of putting together the pieces of news to present the larger picture of the forces shaping our community. From expansions, relocations and other deals, to coverage of important real estate events, trends and executives, a good Business Journal reporter is editor of their own beat coverage, and is easily able to assess what merits a story, an in-depth investigation or just a brief.
The ideal candidate can marry strong traditional journalism skills – source building, sharp news judgment, interviewing prowess, strong analytical and enterprise reporting, clear writing, document use – with digital and social media know-how.
- Define a clear and compelling vision for the look, feel and voice of our products, including a thriving digital news operation, a printed weekly edition, and daily emails.
- Report and write short-form and long-form stories for the website and weekly print edition.
- Own the beat, dictating day-to-day coverage and thriving on digging out source-driven exclusives.
- Relentlessly develop sources and manage relationships with high-level executives and other community leaders.
- Scoop competitors on every story of any significance, not only telling them what happened, but why and how.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Desire and ability to break news and to identify newsworthy events and sources
- Strong analytical and investigative-interviewing skills
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Ability to relate comfortably to a wide range of people, in person, on the phone and online
- A clear drive to develop sources and build audience
- Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure.
- Ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates the organization from competitors.
- Multimedia skills, including video, photos, broadcast, on-camera, helpful.
To apply, go here.