The Markets & Economy Editor is a best-in-class shaper and sharpener of stories and ideas. This is a role for a seasoned editor who has a nose for stocks, bonds, commodities, crypto and economic news and a knack for helping writers elevate their work from good to great. The ideal candidate thrives on the breakneck pace of deadline journalism, has top-notch news judgment and must love business news — with a particular enthusiasm for contextualizing complex financial news topics for a broad consumer audience. This person is a strong collaborator who can help shape CNN Digital’s business reporting and work across teams to occasionally oversee daily coverage.
Your Role Accountabilities…
- Edit breaking news and features from writers on the Business team as well as other writers, producers, reporters and correspondents across CNN.
- Edit work that is published and shared across CNN’s mobile and desktop sites, apps, social accounts and other platforms.
- Edit stories that explain complex financial information to a general news audience.
- Shape story ideas and angles around complex topics. When a big story breaks, editors are often the point person to launch the first URL, keeping us sharp and fast on breaking news.
- Serve as a second set of eyes on alerts or on key pieces that need a good comb-through and/or creative punch.
- Serve as a partner to writers in identifying distinctive angles on top stories, and in helping to make good stories great.
- CNN editors must be excellent communicators and diplomats. They are excellent providers of feedback who help elevate CNN’s storytelling across a wide range of digital platforms.
- A critical component of the job will be assisting with the live stories that are an essential part of our breaking news coverage.
- Be skeptical, but not cynical – be genuinely excited by the changes and disruptions to the US economy and beyond, but also ready to take a critical look at why those changes are taking place.
- And last but never least: Editors are often the final step before a story goes to CNN’s programming team to get distributed to millions of people worldwide; all news editors work intently to make sure our stories are accurate and fair so that we continue to grow the trust between CNN and our audiences.
Qualifications & Experience…
- 4+ years of digital experience
- College degree or equivalent industry experience
- Strong knowledge of or passion for business and financial news
- Excellent editing skills
- Demonstrates leadership qualities
- Strong editorial judgement
- Strong communication, team collaboration skills
- This position is required to work in person at one of our locations in the United States. WarnerMedia requires anyone working in our workplaces in the U.S. to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions to this vaccine requirement are available to those entitled to reasonable accommodations for religious or medical reasons.
To apply, go here.