Freedman Consulting, LLC, a mission-driven consulting firm, seeks a skilled self-starter with a strong ability to research, report, and write dynamic content on public-sector innovation to join the Bloomberg Cities Insights Unit as its Senior Writer & Editor.
The Senior Writer & Editor will join a team of content and research professionals working in partnership with Bloomberg Philanthropies’ Government Innovation team to:
- Grow, educate, and activate a burgeoning global network of city hall leaders and innovators;
- Uncover, document, and elevate successful public-sector innovation strategies and skills; and
- Identify challenges and opportunities in the public-sector innovation movement.
Senior Writer & Editor Responsibilities
Primary responsibilities for the Senior Writer & Editor include:
- Conducting research and coordinating with Bloomberg Philanthropies and its partners to identify and develop story pitches on public-sector innovations that provide practical insights and “how-to” guidance that city leaders can put to use to benefit the lives of residents;
- Contributing to the strategic direction and goals for the weekly Spark newsletter including developing and maintaining an editorial calendar;
- Drafting all components of the Spark newsletter including featured original content and curated highlights from external news sources;
- Managing the assignment, creation, delivery, and editing of pieces written by freelancers, guest writers, and other contributors;
- Collaborating with Bloomberg Philanthropies’ Government Innovation program leads and partners to keep a pulse on network events to inform stories and support the spread of opportunities to readers;
- Supporting the analysis of content performance to drive content strategy and inform decision-making;
- Providing strategic communications and messaging insight, ensuring the substance and design of all materials meets the exacting standards of the client;
- Managing design and visual needs for multimedia storytelling including digital and graphic production, working with a designer and/or outside vendors as needed;
- Supporting, preparing for, and participating in client meetings, events, and presentations; and
- Assisting with other content initiatives as necessary.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism, government, political science, public policy, or a related field;
- At least 6-10 years of previous communications, journalism, government, media, and/or research-related experience;
- Experience reporting, writing, and editing digital stories;
- Experience with project planning and management;
- Familiarity with municipal governments and how they work;
- Expertise at drawing robust insights and conclusions from research and reporting;
- An interest in public-sector innovation tools and practices including data and technology;
- Excellent writing and analytical skills, creativity, attention to detail, and the ability to approach complex issues critically and strategically.
The expected salary range for this position is $110,000 – $125,000 and is commensurate with experience. To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter, and a writing sample to IU@tfreedmanconsulting.com
For more information click here.