CoStar seeks a regional editor in Washington
CoStar has served as a respected source of news for the fast-paced commercial real estate industry for more than two decades. Our award-winning, industry-focused news informs subscribers and complements CoStar’s role as the industry’s leading source of commercial real estate information and data. Fortune Magazine recently named CoStar Group top 100 fastest growing companies in the world. As a key member of CoStar’s news team, you will take a leadership role in determining and shaping CoStar’s news coverage, overseeing the day-to-day activities of a group of reporters clustered geographically. Our regional editors are to be based in the areas they are responsible for.
This is a critical job. As a front-line editor, you will work with a team of reporters to deliver distinct, market-leading coverage to CoStar’s large and growing audience of real estate professionals. The ideal candidate will be able to plan and edit a steady stream of daily coverage while conceiving and executing our most ambitious enterprise, all expertly tailored for the web, email newsletters, social media and other platforms.
CoStar is hiring a number of editors and reporters to take our journalism to the next level. This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced journalist to make a mark and be a part of the next great media brand. Previous newsroom experience for a daily or weekly business publication is a definite advantage.
· Play a key leadership role in the newsroom by generating story ideas, planning, assigning and editing news content, ensuring stories are accompanied by appropriate art, overseeing news publishing schedules and editorial calendars; and supervising editorial staff and freelancers.
· Demonstrate sound news judgement and an ability to prioritize work in an often fast-changing environment.
· Work with data analytics and other tools to guide decision making.
· Manage a remote team of reporters who are dispersed in cities in the region
· Collaborate with other news editors in Washington and elsewhere to determine and prioritize news content and topics.
· Maintain calm under regular deadline pressure without compromising standards.
Skills and Qualifications:
· A proven manager capable of taking on a leadership role for a news team of highly experienced real estate reporters.
· Strong journalism background with proven writing and news editing skills, exceptional organizational skills and experience managing news reporters.
· Ideal candidates will also be experienced reviewing and editing a variety of news styles and formats, from straightforward hard news to profiles of industry leaders and longer, analytic pieces.
· Results oriented – with proven ability to prioritize, drive and achieve results through self and others while working to deadlines under pressure.
· B2B media experience preferred.
· Excellent headline and photo caption-writing skills, with a command of AP Style and a deep knowledge of SEO best practices.
· Ability to work within a team collaborative environment and manage both up and down management chain.
· Basic knowledge of HTML and social media.
· Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in journalism strongly preferred and several years of relevant news room experience.
To apply, go here.