Cheddar seeks a senior news editor
Cheddar is looking to hire a creative and experienced Senior News Editor to help our small team of journalists develop business news content that will complement our growing news networks and grow our digital audience.
A successful candidate will have a strong pedigree in covering Wall Street and Silicon Valley and experience translating complicated financial topics into engaging stories with broad audience appeal. The candidate we choose will be equally comfortable editing spot news stories on breaking news deadlines, turning on-air guest segments into insightful text stories, and developing long-form features and investigative pieces.
The ideal candidate would also have a strong grounding in digital journalism and up-to-date experience creating content that performs well in search and on social platforms. The position will require flexibility, perseverance and innovative thinking to help Cheddar develop its digital presence. Equally important, the candidate we choose will be expected to embrace Cheddar’s start-up culture and work ethic. The person we choose will report to the Managing Editor.
What You’ll Do:
- Assign stories for a small team of journalists and internal contributors based on news priorities, driving audience engagement across platforms and highlighting insights from on-air guest segments.
- Elevate our spot and enterprise journalism with rigorous editing that improves news value and overall quality, plus meets the goal of engaging our core audience.
- Shepherd enterprise and investigative pieces from ideation through publication.
- Edit or produce other digital products as needed, including a daily evening newsletter.
- Work with the Managing Editor to track audience engagement trends and use that data to adjust content strategy as needed.
Who You Are:
- A fast and clever editor who can translate complicated subjects for a millennial audience.
- A teacher and mentor for young reporters and writers.
- A creative thinker and innovative problem-solver who will be comfortable in a start-up environment.
- A collaborative team player who can work across departments with the news, audience, revenue, and product teams.
- An ethical and conscientious editor.
- A hard worker who thrives in a high-pressure environment and can meet tight deadlines.
- An adaptable and flexible team player who is able to mix easily and work effectively in our small, scrappy and highly collaborative company.
- 6 -10 years working in financial news as a reporter or editor.
- Strong experience with SEO, digital audience analytics and social media.
- A track record of rigorous and meaningful journalism that connects with a broad digital audience.
To apply, go here.