Business Insider is hiring a full-time senior lifestyle editor to lead our growing executive lifestyle team. This beat covers the intersection of money and politics as pertains to life on both sides of the wealth gap, while also creating aspirational content that shows readers how the world’s richest people spend their time and money. From the real-estate portfolios of each of the leading Democratic presidential candidates to yacht tours and inside looks at the hottest vacation spots for millionaires, this editor should have one eye on the news and an acute awareness of the kind of content readers want to see the most.
This editor will be responsible for setting and managing the section’s editorial agenda in partnership with the deputy editor. They will be overseeing a continuously growing team of journalists of various experience levels and they will be asked to provide ideas for new beats Business Insider should be owning. They will be assigning and editing daily stories for both outside and inside the paywall every day.
We are looking for an editor who understands the news cycle, has experience working on verticals that drive high volumes of traffic, and wants to grow as a newsroom leader. Stories created on this beat range from 300-word news hits to 2000-word travel features accompanied by original photography. A passion for telling stories through a blend of photos and narratives is a must.
This role oversees a wide array of beats, including:
- Real estate
- Billionaires and generational wealth
- Lifestyles, passions and travel habits of the 1%
- Internet culture
- Luxury retail
The ideal candidate:
- Exhibits excellent story sense in assigning pieces that will resonate with a broad audience
- Has 5-7 years experience managing and growing teams of in-house reporters and editors
- Thrives in fast-paced work environments and can edit up to 15 articles in a day
- Can balance many direct reports and enjoys coaching early career journalists
- Is excited by the prospect of creating a mix of commercial content and in-depth, reported features
- Has an array of industry-specific contacts to help the team gain access to interviews and profiles
- Is a framing expert — someone who looks at a pitch, immediately spots the angle, and is a pro at writing headlines for social media
This is a full-time position based in our New York office. Insider Inc. offers competitive compensation packages complete with benefits.
To apply, go here.