Business Insider is looking for a full-time reporter to cover Alphabet.
Our Big Tech team closely covers the companies and entrepreneurs that are changing the world and holds them accountable. We’re seeking an aggressive, creative reporter to break news and write with authority on Alphabet’s businesses and technology, with a particular focus on YouTube. Examples of great work include: “YouTube set to surpass Netflix as ‘king of streaming’ based on this key metric” and “YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki built a $1 trillion video empire by skirting scrutiny and not acting like Facebook. But insiders say a reckoning is coming as the division soars to new heights.”
The ideal reporter will embrace this complex and challenging beat with passion, a deep rolodex of industry contacts, and an intimate knowledge of the sector. Rather than follow the news, you aspire to drive change through stories that question assumptions, uncover wrongdoing and spur regulators and lawmakers into action.
You’re versatile enough to react quickly and write clearly, while still pursuing scoops, ambitious features and impactful investigations. You are a team player who is excited about working in an inclusive environment and getting better every day. This particular role will require close collaboration with Insider’s existing Alphabet reporter in the US.
The ideal candidate:
- Partners with Big Tech reporters and editors, and other colleagues on the social media and entertainment teams.
- Has the highest journalistic ethics
- Demonstrates sound news judgment
- Shows a willingness to learn and adjust as beats and reader demands evolve
- Has a strong knowledge of and interest in the industry
- Has a track record of breaking news and a portfolio of features
- Nails ability to write quickly and concisely under time pressure
If this sounds like your dream job, apply with a single PDF containing your resume/CV and cover letter. If you’re passionate about this role but don’t have 100% of the experience we’re looking for, apply anyways — we still want to hear from you!
We are flexible on location for this role and this position could be remote, although we have offices in San Francisco and Los Angeles.
To apply, go here.