WSJ seeks a senior platform editor
The Wall Street Journal seeks an editor who will be responsible for planning and leading programming decisions on the Journal’s native platforms—including mobile and desktop, email alerts and push notifications—to inform, engage and delight our readers.
Senior platform editors employ superb news judgment and knowledge of audience data in programming decisions. They demonstrate sharp writing and strong editing skills. They understands how to balance the needs of breaking news and enterprise journalism with our subscribers in mind.
This role requires speed and proficiency with digital publishing tools, a strong command of newsroom workflows. The successful candidate will be an advocate for the needs of our native platforms and off-platform channels with coverage chiefs and an evangelist for digital storytelling in the newsroom. This editor is a key voice in product initiatives for digital platforms and editorial tools. In the off-platform environment, this editor manages day-to-day relationships with external partners and are involved in shaping storytelling experiments.
The senior platform editors assign, direct and supervise the day-to-day work of platform editors, particularly during off hours, and ensure it is of the highest quality, utmost timeliness and high ethical standards. They will participate in training and performance reviews.
- Exercises superb judgment in packaging and presenting news.
- Demonstrates excellence in editing and digital headline writing.
- Employs strong design and visual judgment to enhance digital storytelling packages.
- Understands how to balance breaking news with enterprise and features journalism.
- Recognizes the Journal’s core digital audience and its needs and expectations.
- Helps connect the content with the audience.
- Familiar with the Journal’s brand, content offering and various digital/print platforms.
- Upholds The Wall Street Journal’s high standards and ethics.
Digital media skills
- Ease with editing different types of media, e.g., text, graphics, share text and captions.
- Shapes informative and engaging packages on digital home pages and within articles.
- Uses audience data to inform curation and strategy decisions, adjusting as needed.
- Understands the value of search-engine optimization, notably headlines and tags.
- Possesses deep knowledge of digital and social-media strategies and publishing tools.
- Command of newsroom publishing tools, metadata and visual storytelling devices.
- Ability and willingness to assist in troubleshooting digital publishing issues.
- Acts as an arbiter on decisions related to news distribution, play and packaging.
- Fosters development of individual team members by seeking out growth opportunities.
- Serves as a key voice in product initiatives for digital platforms and editorial tools.
- Sets team schedules, manages workflow and participates in performance reviews.
- Ensures team members receive appropriate training and support to do their work.
- Communicates changes to workflow, tools and best practices on an ongoing basis.
- Participates in recruiting and evaluating candidates during the hiring process.
- Participates in decision-making regarding disciplinary action and compensation.
- Detail-oriented. Takes pride in and ownership of his or her own work.
- Works well independently and as a leader on a larger team.
- Thrives in an atmosphere of constant change and embraces experimentation.
- Comfortable balancing multiple tasks and responsibilities while meeting deadlines.
- Collaborates with other groups and employs excellent communication skills.
- Open-minded. Welcomes learning new skills and opportunities to teach others.
- General awareness of how our newsroom works and others’ roles and responsibilities.
To apply, go here.