The Wall Street Journal is seeking a digital Publishing Editor for WSJ. Magazine & its Style News desk, responsible for building, executing and deploying daily programming on the Journal’s native platforms—including mobile and desktop, email alerts, push notifications and SEO work.
Publishing editors employ solid news judgment and knowledge of audience data in daily programming decisions. They demonstrate sharp writing, strong editing skills and elegant visual thinking. They deeply mine our reader data for trends and to understand how desks can better connect with and grow their audiences.
WSJ. Magazine and Style blend deep reporting, intelligent wit and good taste to create compulsively readable spot stories, analysis and features on the subjects of style, entertainment, celebrity, society, lifestyle and the arts.
This role requires speed and proficiency with digital publishing tools and a strong command of newsroom workflows. The ability to work as part of a team is essential.
- Strong judgment in packaging and presenting news.
- A command of editing and digital headline writing.
- Good design and visual judgment to enhance digital storytelling packages, including placement of photos, pull quotes, visual elements and other stylish ways to enhance the reading experience.
- A deep and borderline obsessive understanding of audience data and how to respond to it—from changing the way stories are built, how they’re published, ways they’re executed or ways they’re promoted.
- An ability to balance breaking news publishing with attentive enterprise and features journalism publishing.
- Familiar with WSJ. Magazine and the Wall Street Journal’s brand, core digital audience, content offering and various digital/print platforms.
- Upholding of The Wall Street Journal’s high standards and ethics.
- A minimum of 4 to 6 years experience in a digital publishing or news-media environment.
- Ability to edit different types of media, e.g., text, graphics, share text and captions, as part of a strong command of digital publishing tools, including metadata and visual storytelling devices.
- Proven history of creating informative and engaging packages on digital home pages and within articles.
- Comfort using audience data to inform curation decisions, making adjustments as needed.
- Understanding of and ability to consistently execute search-engine optimization across all relevant fields and tags.
- Strong command of social-media strategies and publishing mechanisms.
- Ability and willingness to assist in troubleshooting digital publishing issues.
Your personal attributes:
- Detail-oriented. Takes pride in and ownership of his or her own work.
- Work well independently and as part of a larger team.
- Thrive in an atmosphere of constant change and embrace experimentation.
- Comfortable balancing multiple tasks and responsibilities while meeting deadlines.
- Collaborate with other groups and employ excellent communication skills.
- Open-minded. Welcome learning new skills and opportunities to teach others.
- Understanding of how newsrooms work (or quick appetite to learn) and keen sense of others’ roles and responsibilities.
You will report to the Managing Editor of Platforms & Operations of WSJ. Magazine and Style News. This position is based in our New York office.
To apply, please submit your resume, a cover letter explaining how you would approach the job and a link to any related work samples.
Pay Range: $40,000 – $160,000
For further details click here.