WNYC seeks data reporter
WNYC is hiring a data reporter to join the growing Health and Science team.
- Scraping, finding, cleaning, analyzing, and interpreting data to find compelling stories for both text and audio
- Reporting some daily news while also reporting out longer-term investigations
- Writing clean, clear news stories that are factually accurate, timely, fair, and impactful
- Developing sources that lead to scoops you cannot get elsewhere
- Enthusiastically collaborating with editors, producers, and reporters on human-centered investigations and breaking news
- Professional experience writing and reporting for a digital or print publication
- Deep knowledge and proficiency of multiple data tools, including SQL, Python, Excel, etc., and experience deriving insights from the data
- Demonstrated experience working on newsroom data projects, including analysis and reporting
- Experience building basic data visualizations is a significant plus
- Excellent interpersonal skills and news judgment
- Strong interest and/or experience with local New York City news
- Interest and appreciation for the medium of audio and text and how they can be used to reach separate audiences
- An appreciation of digital audience metrics and an understanding of how to use them to reach new audiences
This is a full-time position.