LNP | Lancasteronline is looking for a Sports Deputy Team Leader to join our team! The Sports Deputy Team Leader is a seasoned, multimedia community journalist who gets a thrill from hitting tight deadlines and who loves coaching reporters.
Sports Deputy Team Leader Essential Job Functions (Full Description):
Under the direction of the Sports Team Leader, the deputy works with a team of reporters to produce unique, compelling and engaging local content across a variety of platforms. This position focuses on delivering news and information that’s digital-forward and useful for our print subscribers, discerning where and how to focus our resources. The newsroom’s core mission is to tell relentlessly interesting stories only we can tell, and in sports, that includes game coverage, agate, profiles, breaking news, enterprise and watchdog, as needed. Sports team’s leadership will meet the needs of digital and print audiences – and recognizes their different interests — by publishing breaking news in real time across all digital platforms and then directing her team to follow through with context, analysis and insight in print the next day – all with a focus on readers and consumers.
They will coach, create a learning culture, generate enthusiasm and set high standards among team members. This leader will be responsible for ensuring that reporters use all digital and print tools available in generating news and information. The deputy will work with the team leader to assign, edit, paginate and proof stories on pages, as well as coordinate their presentation with photographers, designers and graphic artists; select and edit wire coverage that aligns with feature beat areas; and be a conduit for reader feedback and future story ideas. They also will collaborate with other team leaders.
Essential job functions:
- Perform all supervisory and leadership responsibilities associated with the newsroom, including motivating, coaching, training, appraising, rewarding and disciplining, and addressing complaints and resolving issues of the employees.
- Supervise and facilitate the work of a reporting team dedicated to generating content that is fair, balanced, accurate, compelling, and makes a positive impact in the communities we serve.
- Works closely with the sports editor, managing editor of content and team leaders, using expertise and good judgement in selecting the most appropriate content for print and digital products to engage the audiences.
- Works across teams to identify issues of importance to residents of Lancaster County and exploring them through solid explanatory and enterprise reporting.
- Use metrics/analytics to inform decisions on content assignments and placement across platforms.
- Attend daily content meetings. Also, attend regular brainstorming meeting about Sunday projects and centerpieces for print.
- Foster a newsroom work environment that champions excellent journalism, creativity, collaboration, teamwork and a sense of fulfillment.
- Create and/or contribute to content as needed.
- Works a flexible schedule in a hybrid environment, depending on production needs, including availability on nights, weekends and holidays.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, related field or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years’ experience in administration and supervision in a newsroom environment preferred. Prior experience in writing and managing sports production preferred.
- Excellent writing, editing and interpersonal communication skills. Knowledge of newsroom-specific editing, photography and wire handling is preferred.
- Experience in pagination using InDesign and the Adobe Creative Suite.
- Experience using wire services and publishing systems for all platforms.
- Fluency in digital publication tools and strategy, including SEO and social media.
- Ability to work and collaborate in a mixed-media team environment, to multitask in a deadline-driven newsroom and to adapt constructively and creatively to change.
- A firm grasp of current events particularly as they relate to LNP’s Lancaster County area audience.
- A keen interest in and knowledge of LNP competitors.
- Thorough familiarity with journalism and libel law.
For more information click here.