The Seattle Times, a family-owned news organization and one of the nation’s premier regional news sources, is hiring a P.M. News Editor to join our Pulitzer Prize-winning newsroom. This individual serves as a key guardian of Seattle Times ethics and standards, and takes primary responsibility for the p.m. digital/print editing operation – including the front page of our print newspaper.
This is a critical position that requires someone who works collaboratively across departments with sharp news judgment, positive leadership, steady and thoughtful decision-making under deadline pressure, a knack for multitasking, a passion for the power of words, the ability to see and improve both the forest and the trees, and a focus on diversity, equity and inclusion.
The P.M. News Editor reports to and works closely with the News Desk Chief.
- Supervise news desk editors, mentoring and guiding as needed
- Oversee production of our daily print news report, with particular attention on Page One, and our p.m. online news report
- Ensure the stories handled by the p.m. news desk are edited with accuracy, sensitivity and an inclusive mindset
- Help ensure our news pages reflect our values of diversity, equity and inclusion. Familiarity with inclusive journalism practices
- Ensure a smooth print editing workflow to meet deadlines, while balancing a digital editing workflow that prioritizes quick publication of breaking news
- Oversee the Evening Brief newsletter
- Uphold standards on style and usage, and play a key role in decision-making about the words we use
We are committed to diversity and creating an inclusive newsroom and encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply. If your profile does not match this job description exactly, you may still be a candidate for this position. Please let us know how your skills and experience relate to the role and its objectives.
- Experience: 3+ years of experience at a metropolitan daily newspaper, including supervisory experience
- Education: Bachelor’s degree or a combination of education and experience
- Passionate, detail-oriented editor who sets a high standard for yourself and those around you
- Proven skills with print production
- Excellent news judgment; firm grasp of local/national/international issues and newsmakers
- Ability to adapt to ever-changing technology
- Enthusiasm for coaching and developing talent
- Ability to analyze stories and make quick, informed judgments about content, libel, accuracy, and newsworthiness under pressure and on deadline
Schedule: This position requires evening work and at least occasional weekend work. The position will be hybrid, requiring a routine with some days in the office.
Compensation: The full salary range for this position is $77,700 to $106,800. We typically pay between $77,700 and $97,000, depending on experience and qualifications.
For further information click here.