The Sacramento Bee is seeking a competitive Assistant Local News Editor to join its award-winning newsroom in California’s capital. This editor will be a key player in directing breaking news coverage, serving the whole newsroom and working with reporters to develop high-impact stories.
At The Bee, we place a premium on breaking stories first, as well as investing in hard-nosed, accountability journalism that our audience can’t get anywhere else. Our journalism focuses on our local communities, and in that role we spotlight problems, highlight solutions and truly make a difference — all the reasons you got into journalism. We are part of McClatchy, a digitally-driven company focused on innovation, with newsrooms in 30 communities in the United States.
In our Assistant Local News Editor, we’re seeking an assertive journalist with excellent news judgment and a sense of urgency. This editor should be able to spot stories and launch the newsroom in covering major breaking news. This editor will coach reporters on covering breaking news and developing enterprise stories on their beats, primarily cops and courts. We’re looking for a go-to editor to handle a variety of content, focusing on local news but also fielding stories produced by other departments, ranging from politics to sports. This editor will work with visual journalists and other teams in our newsroom.
The anticipated base pay range for this position is between $75,000 and $95,000 annually.
In this role, you will need to:
- Lead our PM breaking news efforts with urgency.
- Work with reporters to drive coverage and develop stories off the news, with a focus on accountability journalism.
- Think about the audience first and always, with a commitment to tactics that grow readership.
- Demonstrate a command of audience analytics and knowledge of the tactics that deliver results.
- Focus on speed, competitiveness and SEO savvy through aggregating and storytelling tools.
- Work well in a team environment.
The successful candidate will need to have:
- At least two years of local news experience; editing experience is a plus.
- An unwavering commitment to accurate, ethical journalism.
- Comfort with a job that will be demanding, fast-paced and constantly evolving.
To apply, please include a cover letter and your resume.
For more details click here.