The Philadelphia Inquirer is looking for a Search Engine Optimization Editor to join its Programming & Audience team. This team manages the digital distribution tactics for The Inquirer’s journalism and works to optimize our coverage for the widest possible reach and engagement. The SEO Editor will play a key role in optimizing Inquirer journalism for search platforms and work closely with reporters, editors and other digital strategists to increase our audience reach.
What You’ll Do:
- Write, edit and adjust meta headlines and suggest URL keywords and story structures for improved search performance. Be the newsroom point person for daily SEO headline assistance as we publish.
- Actively monitor search traffic and rankings of developing stories with high search potential and work with editors to pivot or maintain headline structures as needed. Help coordinate headlines across multiple stories on big news events so we’re targeting as many relevant search terms as possible and not competing with ourselves with duplicated and similar headlines.
- Work with editors to identify search trends, key terms and search-driven story ideas in real time. Attend our news meetings and communicate search trends and data that can inform actionable story ideas and publishing times. Help editors understand when and where search-driven story opportunities are available for their desks. This includes writing content templates or outlines that give reporters key ideas about what should be present in a search-focused story.
- Identify secondary keyword opportunities where we can reposition our journalism for search traffic when not breaking through on primary terms. This tactic is particularly crucial for live blogs, explainers and takeaway stories that are a growing component of our publishing strategy.
- Monitor and assist with SEO quality control on our daily coverage. Work with editors in advance to provide SEO guidance around planned news events and respond quickly to breaking news situations with SEO guidance.
- Work with The Inquirer’s Senior SEO Editor to execute broader search strategies, training, and communication.
- Assist in the growth of The Inquirer’s YouTube account, providing optimization to increase the discovery of our video journalism on the platform.
Who We’re Looking For:
The ideal candidate will have 4-plus years of experience working in digital media, including experience related specifically to increasing the visibility of content on major search engines. We need somebody who can write clean, concise and informative headlines while also accounting for the technical aspects of SEO.
- Intimate knowledge of Google, from Google Search Console to Google Trends and Discover and the ability to keep up with platform updates. Familiarity with SEMrush, Keywords Everywhere, Screaming Frog or other SEO tools is a plus.
- Certified in Google Analytics, or a similar level of experience and familiarity with data analytics.
- Ability to react quickly in breaking news situations to help our journalism be in the best possible position to perform well on search engines.
- A passion for news and familiarity with news industry editorial standards and best practices.
For further information click here.