At The Markup, we believe that not everything that is “new” is “news” and not everything that is “news” is “new.” Reporters will produce a steady rhythm of articles that aim to illuminate the impact of technology on society, some of which will be originally reported news and many of which will assemble for readers the best available knowledge about an important topic.
Reporters will persistently monitor and uncover the ways that tech affects people. They will produce well-reported, creatively told short- and medium-term enterprise stories, accountability stories and explainers that will be published at least twice a week on the website.
This position will cover the effects of technology on work and the labor force. This beat explores how technology is affecting everything from the job search to the kinds of jobs that are available, to workplace and employer practices, including the rise of the gig and contract worker.
This position will report to the News Editor.
The deadline to apply is November 15.
- Reporting and writing articles at least once a week breaking down the impact of technology on society.
- Generate and pitch story ideas regularly.
- Familiarity with interviewing techniques and cultivating sources.
- Comfort researching and assessing the strength of academic studies.
- Ability to write quickly with precise language.
- Strong attention to detail and fact-checking.
- Ability to write and review social copy for accuracy and tone.
- Ability to work with the graphics department to gather visual assets for stories and social media.
- Follow ups. Stories don’t always end when they publish; reporters should be on the hunt for follow ups and other stories that can push an investigation further.
- Have at least five years of experience writing news articles on deadline.
- Have shown a flair for enterprise and accountability stories.
- Are passionate about accuracy.
- Write clearly and can produce easy-to-understand explanatory articles.
- Are motivated by the issues of equality and justice.
- Are not scared of numbers.
- Work well with others.
- Are willing to evolve as our startup newsroom evolves.
- Familiarity with research tools such as Lexis Nexis and PACER is a plus.
- Comfort filing public records requests is a plus.
- Familiarity with the technology industry is a plus.
- Familiarity with covering labor issues is not required.
To apply, go here.