The Capital Times, an independent, 105-year-old news organization noted for aggressive journalism and progressive opinion, seeks a News & Investigations Editor who will shepherd and sharpen our journalism, drive accountability, investigative and enterprise journalism and be a hands-on coach and mentor for a talented and committed news reporting team.
This is a senior position in the newsroom that works with other editors and the publisher to carry out a strategic vision for Cap Times coverage, direct the news reporting staff and support our member and audience growth initiatives.
The News & Investigations Editor should have a wealth of experience with investigative and public affairs journalism and a knack for coaching reporters of various experience levels to produce compelling work that breaks news and empowers people in all corners of our community. This editor will help reporters identify public documents, databases and other resources to find and tell high-impact stories readers won’t find anywhere else.
The ideal candidate will be able to:
- Identify investigative and enterprising angles on daily news stories, and advocate for use of data and public records.
- Help to shape and present stories, using a variety of storytelling formats, so that the impact is clear and compelling for readers.
- Prioritize and develop content that supports the Cap Times’ audience and membership growth efforts. This includes frequent consultations with the audience director and top editor to make a candid assessment of what is working and what is not, then make adjustments.
- Demonstrate a deep commitment to the highest standards of journalistic ethics.
- Help to evolve and enforce newsroom policies, procedures, workflows and deadlines.
- Cultivate relationships in the community, including within historically marginalized communities.
Preferred skills and experience
- Extensive experience as a journalist, preferably with a record of accomplishment as an assigning editor.
- Attention to detail and a fierce commitment to accuracy and fairness.
- Top-notch planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Understanding of metrics, social media and SEO.
- Command of AP Style, media law and principles of ethical conduct.
- Experience engaging with and serving a diverse audience.
- Degree in journalism or relevant field.
Please submit a resume, cover letter and clips to Editor Mark Treinen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information click here.