Texas Monthly is looking for writers
Texas Monthly is looking for a freelance writer who can report and write two articles a month on medical and health care issues across the Lone Star State. We seek stories both about groundbreaking innovations and the persistent problems plaguing these fields. Beyond merely reporting the latest news, this coverage will focus on narratives and characters to make often-complex medical issues relatable and compelling for readers. This is a contract position available to writers based anywhere in Texas and will report to the senior editor for business and innovation.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
For almost half a century, Texas Monthly has chronicled life in the Lone Star State, exploring its politics and personalities, barbecue and business, true crime and tacos, honky-tonks and hiking. We hope you enjoy the archive of classic Texas Monthly stories on this site, as well as the half dozen new ones we add every day. We present those stories on every platform where our audience might enjoy them, from this website to our printed magazine, podcasts, videos, books, and live events. Our combined monthly audience is more than 34.6 million and growing rapidly.
- Writing two articles per month for Texas Monthly, including one front-of-book print column every other month
- Pitching story ideas regularly to the senior editor for business and innovation
- Communicating regularly with the senior editor, including responding promptly to edits
- Previous experience reporting on medicine and health care
- An ability to write compelling narrative- and character-focused stories
- An ability to develop story ideas that appeal to a wide general audience
- Knowledge of the health care and medical landscape in Texas
WHAT TO INCLUDE IN SUBMISSION
- Write a short introduction about yourself
- Include a paragraph highlighting your writing experience, relevant credentials and publication credits
- Attach links to your strongest work or portfolio, and online profile.
- Include the job title in the subject line
- Reports indicate that this opportunity will pay 50 cents to $1 per word for print.
For more information, visit their website.
Email all questions and submissions to: email@example.com