States Newsroom seeks a national economy reporter
Join States Newsroom to report on the connections between national economic policy, the states, and everyday people from coast to coast.
States Newsroom, the nation’s leading network of nonprofit news sites focused on state government, policy, and politics, is hiring for a new role. The National Economy Reporter will provide coverage of a broad range of stories about economic policy and how it affects people’s daily lives. This reporting will go beyond traditional economic metrics, like stock market performance and other financial indicators, to examine how legislative and regulatory decisions affect families nationwide. It will explore the special interests and industries that shape policymakers’ decisions, as well as how those decisions contribute to or ameliorate economic inequality in the U.S.
Based in Washington, the reporter will produce regular enterprise and investigative journalism on corporate accountability; the role of special interest lobbying; the disconnect between macroeconomic indicators and the realities faced by working Americans; and other topics determined in consultation with a national editor.
With news outlets in 28 states as well as a national site, News from the States, where the National Economy Reporter’s work will be featured, States Newsroom offers exciting collaboration possibilities and the unique opportunity to serve national and local readers.
- Write weekly trend and feature stories in addition to regular spot news updates as events require
- Generate story ideas with the national editor
- Work closely with state editors to recognize and explore economic trends across the nation
- Collaborate with state-level colleagues as stories or projects require
- Pursue story leads with strong self-direction and news judgment
- Approach assignments on deadline with strong communication and follow through with the editor and colleagues
- Use social media to amplify network content
- This role will require travel
The minimum salary for this position is $85,000 and rises with experience.
OUR GENEROUS BENEFITS PACKAGE INCLUDES:
- Premium-free platinum health care for employees and their families (i.e., nothing comes out of your paycheck!)
- Four weeks of vacation per year
- Two weeks of personal leave per year
- 20 hours of paid volunteer time per year
- 7 holidays and 4 floating holidays
- $75 monthly cell phone reimbursement
- $200 cell phone replacement benefit every two years
- $75 monthly fitness benefit
- 401K with up to 3% match
- 12 weeks of parental leave
- Full-service EAP
States Newsroom will provide a new laptop and any necessary equipment.
ABOUT OUR CULTURE
States Newsroom is dedicated to producing journalism at all levels — from quick hit to investigative — but not at the expense of burning out its employees. We are supportive, exciting, welcoming and positive. We believe in creating sustainable careers for journalists on the crucial state government beat.
States Newsroom’s mission is to connect people to the power that shapes their daily lives through relentless reporting and incisive commentary on state government and policy. Journalism is a powerful force for social change, uniquely suited to challenging systemic inequality and racism. Our goal is to build an organization that fulfills that mission.
At States Newsroom, we believe we strengthen our work and improve our insights when we incorporate the perspectives of people who come from different backgrounds and have had different experiences. We are committed to diversity and prioritize equity in all recruiting and hiring. We are always working to better represent our communities and are supported in these efforts by a network-wide Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice committee.
We’re looking for candidates with at least five years of previous reporting and/or editing experience in government, economic, or business news; sound news judgment; flexibility; and the ability to manage ongoing and short-term projects with strong attention to detail and accuracy.
To apply, send resume, references and samples of published work to jobs<at>statesnewsroom.com.