Sound Publishing has an immediate opening for an Editor to lead the award-winning newspaper, The Juneau Empire, located in scenic Juneau, AK. This is not an entry-level position. Requires a hands-on leader with a minimum of three years of newspaper experience including writing, editing, pagination, photography, and monitoring social media.
The successful candidate:
- Has a demonstrated interest in local political and cultural affairs.
- Has competency in digital media mediums.
- Possesses excellent writing and verbal skills, and can provide representative clips from one or more professional publications.
- Has experience editing reporters’ copy and submitted materials for content and style.
- Is proficient in designing and building pages with Adobe InDesign.
- Is experienced managing an opinion page, writing cogent and stylistically interesting commentaries, and editing a reader letters column.
- Has experience with social media and newspaper website content management and understands the value of the web to report news on a daily basis.
- Has proven interpersonal skills representing a newspaper or other organization at civic functions and public venues.
- Understands how to lead, motivate, and mentor a small news staff.
- Must develop a knowledge of local arts, business, and government.
- Must be visible in the community.
- Must possess reliable, insured, motor vehicle, and a valid driver’s license.
If you are interested in joining our team, attach your cover letter, and resume in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line of “ATTN: Juneau Editor”.
For further information click here.