San Francisco Biz Times seeks a digital editor
The San Francisco Business Times is looking for a Digital Editor to manage our digital news operation.
The Digital Editor is the primary gatekeeper for digital content, working directly with a seasoned team of editors and reporters to curate, edit and publish content on multiple platforms. He or she also reports and writes content as needed, as well as conceptualizes and produces online galleries/slideshows using photos and data. As the newsroom staff member responsible for day-to-day management of all digital content, the Digital Editor must thrive in a fast-paced news environment.
You will work alongside a team of sharp and knowledgeable reporters, editors and researchers in downtown San Francisco. The San Francisco Business Times is regularly recognized as one of the best publications in California for our in-depth coverage of tech, startups, restaurants, hotels, biotech, real estate and sports business.
The job requires solid news judgment, familiarity with different content management systems, strong headline-writing skills, plus familiarity with SEO, site metrics and online journalism best practices. It also requires the ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure. The Digital Editor must balance the highest standards for content with ambitious traffic and engagement objectives.
• Curate, edit and publish news and other engaging online content throughout the day
• Curate, write for, edit, rank and publish the Morning and Afternoon Edition newsletters in consultation with newsroom leaders.
• Leave the office each afternoon well prepared for the next day’s Morning Edition.
• Write daily digital stories as needed
• Direct coverage in breaking news situations, in tandem with the rest of the editing team.
• Generate and execute digital story ideas
• Curate, write, rank and publish the morning and afternoon email products.
• Gather and upload graphics, photos and other visuals for digital features
• Master digital graphics tools available to the newsroom and create digital graphics as needed.
• Track metrics, measure engagement and help staff identify and deploy tactics to meet traffic and engagement goals
• Manage social media streams and execute on strategies to build engagement
• Work with editors, reporters and other stakeholders to plan new content and features
• Work collaboratively with peers in design and research
• Exceptional news judgment
• A deft editing hand
• Online publishing skills
• Confidence in managing reporters and stories
• Ability to multitask and work in a collaborative, high-energy environment
• Excellent headline-writing and copy-editing skills
• Ability to analyze and distill data
• Familiarity with AP Style
• SEO experience
• Video production, HTML and data management experience a plus
• Bay Area community knowledge a plus
• 3 years in a newsroom environment, including direct experience working with online content
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to Beth Hunt, director of editorial recruiting and development, American City Business Journals; email@example.com.