The San Antonio Report, a nonprofit news outlet in the country’s seventh-largest city, is seeking a versatile and enterprising reporter to cover the business and technology beat. The San Antonio Report offers competitive pay, full benefits, and generous paid time off, and also embraces a collaborative work culture.
San Antonio’s business and technology landscape is diverse with large corporations such as USAA and Valero Energy to technology startups and small, family-owned ventures. San Antonio is in a constant tug-of-war with wanting to establish itself as a destination for major business, technology, and entrepreneurship while also holding true to the culture that makes the city unique. We are looking for a reporter who can recognize these nuances while going beyond the press release to tell stories of entrepreneurship, emerging trends, and key figures in the business community. This reporter will need to be comfortable talking to CEO’s, government officials, small business owners, and grassroots activists.
This beat includes coverage of emerging local manufacturing sectors, the tourism and hospitality sector, health care sectors, and the cybersecurity industry. Especially important will be the ability to produce compelling coverage of the post-COVID-19 business environment in a city that depends heavily on tourism and its many service-industry jobs.
The ideal candidate will be skilled at producing both spot news stories and longer, in-depth pieces as well as contributing to broader newsroom-wide reporting projects. This reporter will be asked to integrate themselves into the vast business and technology community to cultivate sources and break news. The business and technology beat is a unique opportunity for a savvy reporter to make the beat their own and help craft a coverage model that gives readers a better understanding of the successes and challenges of San Antonio’s business and technology landscape.
- Strong reporting skills, with at least three years’ experience in a newsroom with specific experience covering business, technology, and entrepreneurialism.
- An understanding of financial reporting documents, and the ability to source documents and information to aid in reporting.
- Proven ability to write well-organized, accurate copy on tight deadlines while also conceiving and pursuing long-term projects or stories.
- Strong writing skills with proven ability to explain San Antonio’s unique challenges as it relates to attracting top talent, businesses, and entrepreneurs.
- Willingness to work closely with editors and other colleagues in shaping the best stories for our audience.
- Schedule flexibility (some nights, weekend work).
- Spanish fluency is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field.
The San Antonio Report is San Antonio’s leading local online news source. Nonprofit and nonpartisan, the site is open to all readers, with no paywall or registration required. We are an outlet that is highly engaged with our community and hosts events throughout the year with city thought leaders and officials. We’re a small and close-knit staff that genuinely enjoys each other’s company at work and away from the office.
If this sounds like the place and position for you, please send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org