To match our editorial growth, Sahan Journal seeks a news editor to edit our expanding coverage across numerous publishing platforms. These include news stories (breaking news, profiles, explainers, Q & As, features, and more); newsletters; social media packages; and video/multimedia.
Since its founding in 2019, Sahan Journal has produced groundbreaking local news coverage about education, health care, immigration policy, elections, climate, policing, entrepreneurship, labor, housing, and more. We frequently frame stories through the lenses of equity, access, and accountability.
The ideal candidate will possess solid experience reporting and/or editing news coverage. Editing at Sahan requires strong news judgment, an enthusiasm for collaborative work, and an interest in editing stories across different platforms—wherever people seek news and information.
- Edit daily and enterprise news that affects communities of color.
- Edit and help produce news coverage across platforms, wherever readers will find them. This includes news stories (features, profiles, and briefs for SahanJournal.com); newsletters; social media packages; multimedia (video, Instagram); and more.
- Help guide reporters to create coverage that adds depth, understanding, and context.
- Perform edits that account for sourcing, balance, news value, insight, and equity.
- Line edit for readability, engagement, storytelling, accuracy, legal concerns, and adherence to style sheet.
- Highlight topics that are often missed—or misrepresented—by mainstream news organizations, with a focus on racial equity.
- Create effective, accurate, and search-friendly headlines and packaging.
- Work with Sahan’s managing editor to coordinate photo and video assignments for staff visual journalists and freelancers.
- Collaborate with Sahan’s managing editor on news assignments and coverage plans. Also coordinate with Sahan’s audience growth manager, digital producer, and editorial director.
- Help staff, managing editor, and digital producer build stories in Sahan’s CMS for publication online. Update stories as needed in breaking news scenarios, and organize news on the website.
Desired skills, knowledge, and abilities:
- At least 3 years of experience in journalism, reporting and/or editing news.
- Excellent news judgment and deep familiarity with news standards: the ability to identify good stories, evaluate sourcing, and reflect journalism values including accuracy, equity, fairness, and respect.
- Familiarity and experience with digital and/or nonprofit news and the changing media landscape.
- Experience creating and leveraging multimedia and social media for exposure and reach.
- Commitment to a supportive and equitable work culture.
- Bonus if you can work competently in a language widely spoken in Minnesota, such as Spanish, Hmong, Somali, Karen, Oromo.
Salary: Salary begins at $72,000 and will be based on prior experience and skillset.
To apply, please send a resume, five clips, and a cover letter, describing your experience and what excites you about working at Sahan Journal. (Optional: Include links to multimedia, social media, or video work you would like to highlight.)
If you have many of the requested skills and experiences, but not all of them, please apply! Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for applications is September 11, 2023.
For further details click here.