Reuters seeks SEC, financial crimes reporter
Reuters is looking for an exceptional reporter for its Washington DC bureau to break news and pursue enterprise stories on the enforcement activities of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and its parallel Department of Justice division.
From Elon Musk’s recent spat with the SEC over his tweets to the agency’s crackdown on cryptocurrencies, the SEC’s enforcement agenda continues to be a high-profile story in Washington and a key area of focus for Reuters.
The successful candidate will be an energetic, ambitious reporter who can lead our coverage by scooping the competition with exclusives while also producing enterprising stories and analyses. She or he will bring a strong grasp of the workings of the SEC enforcement division, securities law and the wider legal community representing corporations. This candidate will be well-sourced (or able to source up quickly) with SEC enforcement staff, their peers at Justice and lawyers.
The beat will focus on the SEC’s enforcement dealings with the biggest listed companies in key sectors but will also include some of the larger financial firms licensed by the SEC, including brokers and fund managers. The reporter will collaborate closely with colleagues in Washington as well as business and legal reporters around the region. The role reports to the Financial Regulation Editor.
- Cover enforcement news out of the SEC and its parallel Department of Justice division and jump on big rolling breaking news stories in the space
- Break news on SEC/DOJ company probes, settlements, and litigation
- Pursue ambitious stories, including investigations and features, on company probes, enforcement trends at the SEC/DOJ securities law unit, and key personalities in the space
- Develop sources across the beat, including within the SEC enforcement and enforcement policy people, the DOJ securities team, and legal community
- At least five years’ relevant reporting experience
- Ability to write quickly and clearly about complex subjects
- Ability to generate and articulate ideas to help drive the file in original ways
- Ability to partner well with different teams, and where necessary act as the lead on big breaking stories
To apply, go here.