Reuters seeks deputy media and consumer desk editor
Reuters is looking for an experienced newsroom manager with strong news judgement, sharp editing skills and a deep understanding of what our global media and consumer customers want from Reuters.
The successful candidate will work with the Media and Consumer Desk Editor to ensure that the stories these clients are most interested in are edited with speed, clarity and creativity, including when we need to supply text to go with visually led stories. This editor will also help ensure there is smooth multimedia coordination so that we deliver stories in the most engaging and useful formats for media customers and consumers.
- Identifies the major stories of the day for media and consumer clients, ensures those stories are written and edited with urgency, accuracy and balance, and are presented in the most digestible and attractive formats for those customer groups.
- Leads a team of desk editors who can edit, curate and produce smart, fast, contextual and analytical content – such as Explainers, Timelines and Factboxes – to help explain the events, people and institutions in the news for media and consumer audiences.
- Collaborates and plans with video, pictures, graphics and digital colleagues to ensure that visually led stories are accompanied by text that is delivered promptly and in appropriate formats.
- Ensures that NewsPlanner entries for major news events are entered as far in advance as possible so media clients can include Reuters in their coverage plans.
- Supports the Head of the Global News Desk in communicating and championing the needs of media and consumer clients to all desk editors. Works closely with the Media and Consumer Desk Editor, and the Editor for Media and Consumer on the newsgathering side, to meet those needs.
- Vets sensitive stories and upholds Reuters high journalistic standards, escalating when needed to senior editors or legal. Maintains a high bar against stories that don’t meet our standards, that lack audience or that lack impact.
- Participates in relevant news planning meetings to best understand global news priorities and communicate them with teams. Keeps a close eye on competitors to ensure we are best-in-class. Work with Media and Consumer Desk Editor, and Day Editors, to ensure a smooth handover between editing hubs on major media and consumer stories.
- Supports the Head of the Global News Desk to ensure consistency in editing standards globally, to maintain good day-to-day desk relations with bureaus and reporting teams, and to develop desk talent, manage performance and build diverse teams.
To apply go here.