Reuter seeks a financial desk editor
Reuters is looking for an experienced newsroom manager with a deep understanding of the needs of our financial news customers.
The successful candidate will be responsible for ensuring that the biggest business, economic and financial stories of the day are delivered with speed and authority in the most engaging formats for our customers, especially our professional audience on Eikon.
The editor will also be responsible for vetting corporate FOCUS pitches and ensuring they are smoothly edited by the global news desk. The successful candidate will have strong news judgment, financial numeracy, and sharp editing skills. When a big financial story is of interest to media and consumer audiences, the editor will be expected to work closely with the Editor for Media and Consumer to meet the needs of those customer groups.
Financial Desk Editor:
- Identifies the major stories of the day for our financial news audience, with a focus on Eikon subscribers but also a keen awareness of the needs of media and consumer clients. Ensures those stories are written and edited with urgency, accuracy and balance, and are presented in the most digestible and engaging formats.
- Leads a team of desk editors with expertise across financial asset classes who can edit, curate and produce smart, fast, contextual and analytical content – such as Explainers, Timelines and Factboxes – to help explain major events, people and institutions.
- Works closely with specialist editors on the newsgathering side to determine priorities and assigns stories to the appropriate sub-editors.
- Supports the Head of the Global News Desk in understanding, communicating and championing the needs of financial news clients. Works closely with the Editor for Financial News Strategy to understand those needs.
- Vets sensitive stories and escalates as needed to senior editors and legal. Maintains a high bar against stories that don’t meet our standards, that lack audience or that lack impact.
- Works seamlessly with other desk managers to ensure consistency in editing standards globally. Ensures a smooth handover between time zones on major financial stories.
- Participates in relevant news planning meetings to best understand global news priorities and communicate them with sub-editors. Keeps a close eye on competitors to ensure we are best-in-class.
- Supports Global News Desk head in managing day-to-day desk relations with reporting teams and managers.
- Helps Global News Desk head in developing talent, managing performance and building diverse teams.
To apply, go here.