Recode seeks a new editor in chief
Vox Media employees thrive on innovation and change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, and improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology and the world around them. Vox Media’s networks and businesses include SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode & Code Conferences, Polygon, Concert, Chorus, Vox Creative, Vox Entertainment, and the Vox Media Podcast Network.
Vox—Vox Media’s general news network—is a user’s guide to the news, helping audiences make sense of everything from the 2018 midterms to North Korea to Game of Thrones. We are striving to create the single best resource for news consumers anywhere with thorough explanatory journalism.
Recode is the internet’s premier destination for coverage of the ideas, leaders, and trends driving the tech industry. With unparalleled access to Silicon Valley and Sand Hill Road, Recode gets inside the minds of tech visionaries and investors, never sacrificing insight for access. Whether it is Kara Swisher interviewing Mark Zuckerberg on the Recode Decode podcast or the heads of Silicon Valley debating ethics at a Code event, Recode is talking to the people who are changing the world.
These two powerhouse brands are looking for an experienced editor to lead Recode as it moves to its new home on Vox. We see an incredible opportunity to cover technology and its effect on our politics, our minds, and our culture. We are looking for an editor who is obsessed with the ways – good and bad – that technology is changing our world. You would be responsible for assigning and developing daily stories, editing must-read, distinctive explanatory technology coverage, and developing the overall editorial strategy. This role will involve working directly with people like Kara Swisher, Peter Kafka, Ezra Klein and others to tell the biggest technology stories of our day.
This editor will report to Vox’s managing editor, news, and will work closely with the other Vox editors. At Vox, editors collaborate.They brainstorm with colleagues to cover big stories from multiple angles. We expect technology coverage to be a signature area for Vox in the coming years, and this role is an important position in the newsroom. You will also work with Recode podcast producers, conference organizers and others, and play a key role in growing the Recode brand.
What you’ll do:
- Work with Vox and Recode leadership to relaunch Recode on Vox
- Assign and edit multiple stories per day from a diverse team of writers — ranging from experienced journalists like Kara Swisher and Ezra Klein to entry-level reporters
- Conceive of impact pieces and work with high-profile writers and explanatory columnists to bring those stories to life
- Manage 6-10 writers and a deputy editor
- Think strategically about tech coverage and help guide editorial priorities
What you’ll bring:
- Visionary spirit with a strong desire to lead and innovate
- A strong reporting background and experience with technology coverage, along with a unique vision for a new approach to the industry
- A demonstrated ability to bring analysis and sharp angles to technology stories
- A clear understanding of the fast speed of web journalism and the importance of careful editing
- Strong execution skills
- Concise and clever headline writing skills
- A sharp eye for SEO and social media savvy
- Strong managerial and communication skills
- At least eight years’ experience editing, or equivalent
- Experience with explanatory journalism a plus
Vox values thinkers, creators, and obsessives from all backgrounds. We encourage those with diverse and nontraditional experience to apply.
This position is based in San Francisco or New York City.
To apply, go here.