Pacific Business News is looking for a full-time reporter to join our team.
The ideal candidate brings exceptional journalism skills – source building, sharp news judgment, interviewing prowess, strong analytical and investigative reporting, clear writing, document use – and strong digital content sensibility to any beat they cover. Whatever the platform, this reporter will produce content that is accompanied by perspective and context for a vibrant audience of entrepreneurs, business owners, executives and professionals in one of the nation’s most vibrant economic regions.
The audience for this reporter runs from start-up executives to long-tenured CEOs, executives at every level in between, and everyone who wants to know and/or do business with them.
A PBN reporter is competitive, collaborative and curious. He or she is expected to contribute both short- and long-form stories to our news products online, in email and in print.
Specifically, reporters are expected to own every important story on their beats; use networking events, social media platforms and other community-building outlets to expand and fortify their source base and audience; work collaboratively with other newsroom staffers to maximize impact and accessibility of stories reported; and meet or exceed goals related to audience engagement. Also, scoops matter. A lot.
• Proven excellence in reporting and writing
• Desire and ability to break news and to identify newsworthy events and sources
• Strong analytical and investigative-interviewing skills
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
• Ability to relate comfortably to a wide range of people, in person, on the phone and online
• A clear drive to develop sources and build audience
• Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure.
• Ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates the organization from competitors.
• Multimedia skills, including video, photos, broadcast, on-camera, helpful.
• Minimum of 2-3 years of reporting experience.
• Proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience.
• Proven experience building and maintaining a strong source base.
• Knowledge of business principles essential.
• Experience covering Hawaii is a plus.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
To apply, email a resume, cover letter and links to clips that best show enterprise and scoops reporting to Editor Kam Napier, email@example.com