Orlando Business Journal seeks economic development reporter
The Orlando Business Journal is looking for a reporter who can marry strong traditional journalism skills – source building, sharp news judgment, interviewing prowess, strong analytical and investigative reporting, clear writing, document use – with online and social media know-how. Whatever the platform, this reporter will produce content that is accompanied by perspective and context for our influential and growing audience of business owners, executives and professionals in Orlando and Central Florida.
Specifically, this reporter will cover the intersection of business and government, where government involvement in business issues — transportation, major civic construction projects, environmental and other regulations, corporate relocations, etc. — either helps the business community grow or causes it pain.
A Business Journal reporter is expected to contribute both daily online posts and long-form print stories to our news products. Scoops matter. A lot.
• Report and write well on deadline
• Work independently
• Break news and to identify newsworthy events and sources.
• Strong analytical and investigative-interviewing skills
• Ability to relate comfortably to a wide range of people and to develop sources and audience.
• Competitive, collaborative, curious
• Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure.
• Able to leverage source relationships to deliver content that differentiates the organization from competitors.
• Multimedia skills, including video, photos, broadcast, on-camera, helpful.
1-3 years of journalism experience
Proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience
Knowledge of business and/or business community a plus.
Experience with using social media to source and promote content is key.
To apply, email a cover letter, resume and clips that best show enterprising and scoop reporting to Beth Hunt, Director of Editorial Recruiting and Development at American City Business Journals: email@example.com