Modern Healthcare is the industry’s essential source for news, information and events. Our loyal readership comes to us for the most in-depth, thoughtful and enterprising coverage of healthcare policy and business.
We rely on our staff to have their ears to the ground and be invested and curious about one of the most fascinating and all-encompassing economic sectors in the nation. As such, we empower our reporters and editors to create enterprising and impactful work for an audience that considers our content “must-read.”
This editor will lead a team of 13 reporters in developing features, special reports and investigative projects that go beyond the news of the day. S/he will work closely with other editors and the reporters to unearth trends that a shaping an industry that accounts for nearly 20% of the nation’s GDP. The editor will assign features and special projects that could have a turnaround time of between two days to three or four months. The editor will work collaboratively with reporters, the art department, researchers and web team to develop comprehensive packages for print and the web.
The right candidate must understand what’s important to a busy executive audience and have a rich background in storytelling. S/he will also be a strong and organized line editor who can keep up with the pace of an ever-changing industry that depends on Modern Healthcare to give them the latest and most relevant news. S/he will have have a strong drive to compete and win and be able to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Work collaboratively with reporters at all stages of story development – concept, planning, reporting, structuring, editing
- Conceptualize and project manage new product ideas and projects
- Will conceptualize digital and data treatments for stories and projects
- Will manage multiple projects and stories to deliver creative stories and packages
- Will manage projects and the workflow of others
- Maintain high journalistic and ethical standards and ensure accuracy and fairness
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related field
- Minimum five years of professional experience as an editor in a deadline driven newsroom
- Experience leading a team and/or training as a team leader
- Healthcare reporting experience is a must
- Proven experience taking
- Strong macro-level editing skills: stakes, structure, story, pacing, etc.
- Strong micro-level editing skills: facts, aesthetics, tone, voice, clarity, etc.
- Experience conceptualizing digital and data treatments for stories and projects
- Professional experience managing multiple major projects, with strong organizational skills
- A creative and critical mind, a person who can find extraordinary angles in ordinary topics
- An enthusiasm for learning, for striving, and for adapting to constant change
- Online experience, including content management systems
- Strong grammatical skills, with a demonstrated ability to edit and self-edit
- Demonstrated ability to work within a team and pull disparate teams together
- An effective and empathetic communicator
- Strong critical and analytical thinking and news judgment
- Graduate level degree in Journalism or related field
- Experience working with daily or weekly newsroom deadlines
- Experience working with a newsroom comprised of both onsite and remote reporters
- Background of scoops, breaking news and developing sources within the healthcare space
- Digital storytelling, data reporting and publishing experience in a business publication
- Demonstrated ability to work across platforms, including video, photo and audio
- Experience with databases, spreadsheets, and PowerPoint presentations
- Great interpersonal skills to interact with heavy hitters from the healthcare industry
To apply, go here.