Memphis Business Journal seeks editor in chief
The Memphis Business Journal Journal, the award-winning business news leader, is looking for an editor in chief.
The editor in chief (EIC), as the highest ranking newsroom leader, is responsible for driving product strategy and quality across all platforms and for relentlessly building audience. The EIC must be equally at home in both the print and digital spheres – but leadership and innovation must be particularly pronounced on digital platforms.
To be successful, the EIC must possess well-honed hard news instincts, have a burning curiosity about business and people, a deft editing hand and be equal parts leader, entrepreneur and marketer.
· Define a clear and compelling vision for the look, feel and voice of our portfolio of products, including the existing print newspaper, daily emails, website and mobile.
· Drive staff adaptation to new mediums, platforms, skill sets, story forms, and ways of doing things.
· Take a proactive, hands-on approach in developing and leading reporting staff.
· Share responsibility for growing print, digital and event audiences. Work with other department heads to create business and marketing plans. In collaboration with the Publisher, identify and address new business and audience opportunities to extend the brand.
· Seek content syndication channels and partnerships for Business Journal content.
· Meet or exceed goals relating to audience-engagement.
· Embrace community and business outreach as an ambassador of the Memphis Business Journal.
· Inspiring, yet diplomatic.
· Innovative, curious, collaborative.
· Passionate, knowledgeable about business topics and coverage.
· Ability to lead a high-performance newsroom driven by excellence.
· Good communicator who can build on a strong newsroom culture.
· Must be comfortable and thrive in a rapidly changing and uncharted media environment.
· Management and/or team leadership required; Daily, and preferable, weekly print experience for a business news operation.
· Experience working in a digital news environment.
· Beat reporter experience.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
About the company: The Memphis Business Journal is owned by American City Business Journals, a unit of Advance Publications Inc., which operates Conde Nast Magazines, Parade magazine, Fairchild Publications, the Golf Digest companies, Newhouse Newspapers and cable television interests.
We cater directly to leaders in our dynamic, diverse local economy. Business leaders look to the Memphis Business Journal for local news and connections. The Business Journals’ digital network outranks wsj.com, nytimes.com and forbes.com with senior management, C-level executives and influencers. If you thrive in a fast-paced environment where you can innovate and lead, we invite you to apply.
Please send your resume and expression of interest to Publisher Joanna Crangle at firstname.lastname@example.org