Americans spend a third of our day at work (if we’re lucky). We find love and make friends. We develop an identity – and sometimes change it over and over.
What does it mean to work today? From whether the #metoo movement is playing out differently among hourly and low-wage workers than it is among high-wattage Hollywood and political circles to whether the GOPs’ tax cuts will lead to more employment and higher wages or just bigger bonuses for executives at the top of the income ladder to whether you really want Alexa listening to you all the time at the office as well as home… Marketplace is seeking a clever and enterprising reporter to help Marketplace’s audience follow and understand how the nature of work and workplaces are changing and dig into the big picture of what jobs and workplaces look like in today’s economy.
It’s an exciting time to join Marketplace. We are an industry leader in telling meaningful and creative stories on the radio heard by over 14 million weekly listeners, and we’re evolving into a multi-media enterprise centered around the ambition of raising the economic intelligence of all Americans. Marketplace is an ambitious shop, fueled by ambitious ideas. This is a place of creativity and unorthodox thinking. We don’t take ourselves too seriously, even though we understand the critical importance of people understanding how the economy shapes the world around us.
The ideal candidate is someone who has proven radio reporting abilities, and who has a passion for reporting business and financial news in Marketplace’s explanatory and accessible style.
The reporter will spend a portion of his/her time on general assignment, so we place a premium on candidates with solid contacts and an ability to offer an insightful take on the day’s business news in sound-rich packages, in live interviews, in long-form articles, and in timely digital posts. The successful candidate will have mastered pitching original ideas in multiple formats across a variety of platforms. Ideally, s/he has a developed presence in social media.
The location for this position is flexible. Los Angeles, CA or New York, NY are preferred.
This position will be either a Reporter II OR Senior Reporter -level position depending upon the most qualified candidate’s experience. The Senior Reporter is a higher-level position that varies from the Reporter II level to include the following attributes in addition to those outlined under “Position Responsibility”:
- Brings complicated ideas to air with little need for direction.
- Regularly sets fresh directions in stories.
- Determines processes, approaches, and resources needed for a given project/assignment.
- Adapts procedures to accomplish more complex tasks.
- Trains and is available for substitute hosting.
- Serves as lead on special projects/series.This posting has an application deadline of January 14, 2018 (10pm PST).
- Pitch and report ideas for daily spots, features and digital elements on business and money for all Marketplace platforms, including shows and Marketplace.org.
- Conceptually understand the difference between a digital story and audio story and be able to deliver the same story for different platforms.
- Cover a variety of assignments and develop an area of expertise.
To apply, go here.