Marketplace is looking for a Senior Editor at its headquarters in downtown Los Angeles.
The successful candidate will provide leadership for a team of reporters, some based in Los Angeles and others in bureaus across the country. You’ll help drive our daily, mid- and long-term stories, continuing our mission to raise the economic intelligence of the country through unorthodox and explanatory storytelling, our signature sound, high quality journalism and insightful, sharp angles on the news.
Marketplace is an industry leader in telling meaningful and creative stories on the radio with more than 14 million listeners, and several million more on digital and on-demand. Good ideas are the currency here. We don’t take ourselves too seriously, even though we take seriously the critical importance of people understanding how the economy and business decisions shape the world around us.
Producing imaginative, sound, original content on challenging deadlines is the foundation of this job.
How will you know if it’s right for you? Do you:
- Have a knack for breaking down complex ideas and transactions in sophisticated and radio-friendly ways?
- Have significant experience assigning, editing and delivering ambitious series and coverage strands?
- Have a proven track record of developing daily and quick-turn stories for radio and digital platforms?
- Care about working in a collaborative, fast-paced, diverse and positive work environment?
- Possess the ability to inspire reporters and colleagues?
If the answer to those questions is yes, then we’d like to hear from you.
- Provide editorial leadership and mentoring to a team of reporters.
- Lead strategy to achieve insightful, distinctive, original coverage of major business stories.
- Work with Executive Editor, Managing Editor and other editorial staff in determining priorities; developing coverage streams, series or other special coverage, and scheduling.
- Plan and assign daily, short- and longer-term coverage (spots, two-ways, short-turnaround and longer-term features) to provide Marketplace shows with timely reports and voices on the news.
- Hire, supervise, train, and manage direct staff through providing work direction, constructive performance coaching, mentorship, performance meetings, and ongoing feedback.
- Foster a creative and productive work environment. Create development opportunities and individualized development plans for staff and training to enhance skills and foster growth.
- Assign and edit stories that meet Marketplace standards for originality, insight and sound.
- Within a team environment, respond to the needs of all Marketplace programs. Work with the digital team to deliver compelling content for Marketplace’s digital platforms. Collaborate on all creative aspects of the organization.
- Monitor relevant desk and acquisition budgets.
- Write the daily financial summary (“The Numbers”) in rotation with other editorial staff.
- Lead editorial meetings, and daily and long-range planning, as assigned.
- Develop and maintain relationships with other editorial outlets to expand audience for and deepen impact of our coverage.
- Represent Marketplace to outside constituents.
- Lead team in source development, including those with diverse demographic or economic backgrounds.
- Maintain and communicate an up-to-date schedule of assigned features and other elements.
To apply, go here.