It’s an exciting time to join Marketplace. We are an industry leader in telling meaningful and creative stories on the radio with over 14 million weekly listeners, and we’re evolving into a multi-media enterprise centered around the ambition of raising the economic intelligence of all Americans.
It’s also an exciting time to be in the news industry. The Managing Editor Daily (Content/Coverage/News) drives the daily journalism operations of Marketplace during an unprecedented era of political, technological and social change in the United States and around the world. S/he finds ways to bring the unique Marketplace approach to daily news coverage across the enterprise.
S/he manages daily news decision-making and oversees the daily editor and reporter assignment process, ensuring the needs of all programs and other news platforms are served. S/he oversees planning and communication of the daily editorial agenda across Marketplace. With strong news judgment, the Managing Editor Daily (Content/Coverage/News) implements an ambitious editorial agenda with an understanding of what makes Marketplace distinctive and how to maintain that distinctive edge in an increasingly competitive environment. Strong daily coverage and distinctive journalism are at the core of the Marketplace newsroom.
S/he works collaboratively with the Managing Editor Features/Enterprise to ensure daily goals and resources allocated are synced with longer term feature and enterprise priorities. S/he works collaboratively with digital leadership to ensure news for digital platforms meets audience needs and to drive new, daily news- related projects.
- Lead a team of editors and reporters to deliver daily elements that cover the major news stories of the day in an unorthodox way, with an angle that is uniquely Marketplace and also meets the highest journalistic standards.
- Work with show producers and editors to meet needs of ambitious daily editorial agenda, understanding the needs of a 24-hour news cycle on different platforms.
- Own daily assignment process and schedule, incorporating schedule of longer term assignments across all platforms.
- Develop and own breaking news protocol.
- Work with editors and reporters on how to cover the news of the day through the regular Marketplace beats/desks. Assist reporters on the development of the daily memos.
- Manage workflow to reflect editorial priorities.
- Act as a key collaborator with all newsroom editors to plan their story deadlines
- Ensure quality and timely delivery of all daily stories to digital platforms, and collaborates with the digital team on posting breaking news on Marketplace.org and other digital platforms
- Hire and lead staff by;
- Creating a culture of constructive performance coaching and regular, on-going feedback.
- Encouraging creativity, invention and productivity.
- Embracing diversity in staff make-up.
- Creating and encouraging individualized development opportunities and plans for staff.
- Work within a team environment, responding to the needs of all Marketplace programs and digital news platforms.
- Read widely and remain well-informed about news, current events, business, economics, history and public policy.
- Communicate Marketplace vision, mission, values, and needs within organization, industry and to outside world.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- 10+ years of relevant work experience in: editing, broadcast, print or online journalism.
- 5+ years of supervisory/management experience.
- Management experience must demonstrate an ability to lead a staff with high standards, demonstrating an ability to teach, and inspire.
- Experience working in multi-platform environment producing news content for broadcast and web.
- Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure.
- Experience with and knowledge of journalism ethics and practices.
- Ideally have experience in taking a traditional newsroom and training it to think about how to tell stories on multiple platforms.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- A background in business journalism is not necessary, but a desire to tell business and economic stories in a clear, explanatory and fun style is.
- Forward-thinking, savvy, and be a dynamic leader who loves the thrill of the daily chase.
- Leadership skills, from recruitment to coaching, training and development.
- Strong knowledge of workflows across multiple platforms
- Demonstrated leadership and personnel skills and ability to motivate staff and develop high performing teams.
- Ability to consistently work well with others and to inspire and lead the staff.
- Excellence in leadership with proven ability to develop and maintain a positive, diverse, creative, high performance culture.
- Outstanding strategic thinking and planning, decision-making, and communication abilities.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the mission of public broadcasting, and commitment to the mission of APM.
- Ability to lead and manage change in a fast-moving environment.
- Excellent and persuasive writing ability.
- Ability to manage projects and personnel, to keep projects on target and accomplishing deliverables.
- Budget management abilities.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Master’s degree
- Experience with visual journalism in terms of photo selection, video content editing
To apply, go here.