Jacksonville Biz Journal seeks data reporter
The Jacksonville Business Journal is looking for a driven and innovative Data Reporter to build on the newsroom’s strong legacy of using data to drive essential, exclusive business coverage.
The Data Reporter is able to gather and analyze original data on the industries, companies and trends driving business decisions in the Jacksonville region, and communicate what he or she uncovers using both text and visual storytelling techniques.
A major responsibility will be growing and managing the Jacksonville Business Journal database of regional companies — including using surveys, public documents and other relevant sources to collect and analyze company and industry data for the Business Journal’s weekly industry Lists.
• Regularly reports stories based on data from the Lists and other research projects using appropriate narrative and visual storytelling techniques.
• Reports and writes four to six cover stories a year using data resources.
• Oversees creation of charts and infographics to illustrate research data findings;
• Works alongside reporters and editors on enterprise projects that include or are driven by data;
• Actively looks for creative ways to tell important stories using data.
• Cover additional topics based on newsroom needs
• Strong news judgment, news analysis and news writing skills
• Knowledge of computer data-management applications
• Proven ability to work with databases and spreadsheets to find patterns and stories
• Meticulous eye for detail
• Passionate about finding and dissecting data
• Ability to get people to tell you things they don’t want to
• Strong customer service skills
• Solid Microsoft Excel skills a must
• Comfort with basic math
• Ability to mine and analyze data from surveys, regulatory agencies, other public documents and sources
• Drive for 100 percent accuracy
1-3 years of journalism or equivalent experience, with a track record of reporting on business data
Familiarity with public-company, bank and regulatory agency filings a plus
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to Beth Hunt, director of editorial recruiting and development, American City Business Journals; email@example.com