Insider is hiring an editor to help lead our new Los Angeles bureau.
We’re building this team from scratch and looking for collaborative, creative journalists to produce smart beat reporting, features, profiles and analysis that explore the digital transformation of the entertainment business. The editor will report and write industry news and analysis as well as help shape our coverage of the forces disrupting how content creation, dealmaking and distribution are done in Hollywood — including technology shifts and the industry’s drive for diversity, equity and inclusion on screen and behind the scenes. Stories coming out of our L.A. bureau will be must-reads for entertainment decision makers and industry obsessives alike.
The editor will be versed in the workings of Hollywood and the Silicon Valley figures and forces that have upended its culture and hierarchies — an experienced journalist and strong communicator who can generate original, enterprise reporting and guide others under them to do the same. You will lead by example and help a small team of reporters navigate the streamers, the studios, the shingles, the agencies, the guilds and the multiplying platforms where audiences are finding entertainment. You’ll be an essential part of the entire process, from brainstorming story ideas, reporting and writing to mentoring colleagues and doing final line edits before we publish.
The ideal candidate will have excellent news judgment and be able to create and package in-depth stories with compelling headlines; they will also be flexible and open to tapping new veins of coverage that connect with audiences. They will be able to balance pursuing their own stories with guiding reporters toward smart ideas and sources.
The editor will be responsible for:
- Reporting and writing news, profiles, features and analysis on the evolving business of Hollywood.
- Fielding pitches and assigning stories centered on topics and news that are essential to entertainment stakeholders and obsessives.
- Shaping an inclusive, collaborative culture within the bureau and driving journalism that balances accountability and empathy.
- Strategizing our short-, medium- and long-term coverage plans.
- Helping reporters develop sources and work through complex stories as well as shepherding and line editing their drafts.
- Working closely with the L.A. bureau chief in managing the team.
The ideal candidate will have several years of experience reporting and/or editing entertainment industry coverage. Experience managing reporters is a plus.
If this sounds like your dream job, apply here with a single PDF containing your resume/CV and cover letter explaining why you are the perfect fit for this role. Please also include links to five pieces of work in your cover letter.
Insider Inc. will remain remote due to Covid-19 until July 2021. When the work from home period is over, this position will be based out of our Los Angeles bureau. Insider Inc. offers competitive compensation packages complete with benefits.
To apply, go here.