Indiana paper seeks business reporter
The Elkhart Truth in Elkhart, Ind., is looking for a watchdog and storyteller to fill a reporter opening.
One of the primary roles of this reporter will be to keep tabs on the world’s largest recreational vehicle industry. Six in 10 people in Elkhart County work in the RV industry in some capacity, so the ability of this reporter to cover a business beat in varied ways is paramount. We want you to bring your own voice and style to your work and, while RV industry reporting is expected, there also will be plenty of room (and leadership support) to explore features, investigative projects and other storytelling styles.
- Some experience in business reporting, or show us you can hit the ground running when it comes to the RV industry
- 2-5 years of reporting experience
- Proven record of follow-through with longterm projects (What does that look like in our newsroom? Take a look at our yearlong award-winning series called “5 Years Later,” which is about Elkhart County’s recovery since the end of the Great Recession — Part I, Part II and Part III
Other than great writing and reporting skills, what are we looking for?
- Strong use of a variety of social media is a must. Google+, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram are used by everyone in our newsroom and we expect you to do the same.
- If you’re a great writer, we don’t demand you also be an expert videographer and photographer but we do expect you to take photos or video with your smartphone. (Bonus points if you have a DSLR and aren’t afraid to use it).
Our family-owned company is 125 years old but our online presence should prove we don’t exactly act our age. We have award-winning journalists, an award-winning website and, recently, our company was given the HSPA James W. Brown Innovation Award for Flavor574.com, our niche food magazine. We also have a three-hour morning radio show and a growing number of digital magazines.
And we’re just getting started.
A little about the area: We’re a 90-minute drive from Chicago and Indianapolis, and we’re close to craft brew havens like Kalamazoo, Mich. and Munster, Ind. We’re also within a short drive to the beaches of Lake Michigan, tons of recreational activities and the Notre Dame Fighting Irish.
The Truth offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Background and driving record check required. Please send resume, links and cover letter with salary expectations to assistant managing editor Anne Christnovich at email@example.com.