Houston Business Journal seeks restaurant/retail reporter
The Houston Business Journal, a thriving and growing news organization, is looking for a full-time reporter to cover general breaking news as well as the restaurant and retail industries.
This isn’t a job for the easily overwhelmed. You’ll be tasked with covering Houston’s breaking news as it happens. Part of your job will also entail keeping up with Houston’s hot restaurant and retail scene. You’ll cover new restaurant openings, as well as any change in strategy for restaurateurs. But most importantly, you’ll tell our readers why this all matters.
We’re looking for strong traditional journalism skills – source building, sharp interviewing techniques, strong analytical and investigative reporting skills, clear writing, document use – with online and social media know-how. Whatever the platform, we strive to produce content – original and curated – that is accompanied by perspective and context.
- Contribute in-depth, timely and relevant daily news stories to be used across platforms.
- Own the beat audience and conversation.
- Build source network relentlessly.
- Attend both Houston Business Journal and industry-related events.
- Reporters will be expected to facilitate/moderate at Business Journal events and must be comfortable in taking a leading role in the community.
- Meet or exceed goals relating to audience-engagement such as page views, unique users, repeat visits, direct traffic, social media followings and growth, paid print subscribership, email newsletter circulation growth, event attendance, and other such measures.
- Take on any other assignment made by manager(s).
- Minimum of 2 years of journalism experience with a proven ability in reporting and writing; knowledge of local business community a plus.
- Ability to leverage relationships with sources.
- Strong news judgement with the ability to break news and identify newsworthy events and sources.
- Strong writing, analytical and investigative interviewing skills.
- Ability to relate comfortably to a wide range of people.
- Ability to work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Experience with using social media to source and promote content a plus.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
General office environment. Extensive computer use required. Some travel required. Ability to work flexible work schedules, including nights, weekends and holidays, as needed.
About the Houston Business Journal
The Houston Business Journal publishes breaking business news online and publishes a weekly print edition that’s read by more than 50,000 readers each week. Our readers rely on the Houston Business Journal for in-depth local news to help grow their businesses, drive business decisions and meet the influencers in the market.
HBJ is one of the 43 Business Journals owned by American City Business Journals, the largest publisher of metropolitan business newsweeklies in the United States, with 43 business publications across the country reaching more than 3.6 million readers each week.
American City Business Journals, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Company considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable city, state or federal law.
Giselle Greenwood, Editor-in-Chief